Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th May 2005, 03:10 AM   #1
Larry

Default Khanjar Identification

I am seeking help with a Khanjar I have had for quite a while. I would like to know it's approximate age and if possible an assesment of it's quality. I know nothing about Islamic arms. I recently saw a picture from the 1930's of the Sultan of Muscat and Oman who appeared to be wearing a similar Khanjar. I would appreciate any comments.
Thanks
Larry
Attached Images

Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 09:59 AM   #2
tom hyle

Note resemblance of the handle to the globe pommelled swords. Note resemblance to the sheath/belt arrangement of billao.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Oriental-Arms

Default Omani Khanjar

This is an Omani Khanjar of the style known as Sayydi. This style is characterized by the heavily decorated handle with many silver filigree pieces and the silver filigree “ears” at the pommel sides.

The story goes that the Persian queen of Oman, the loyal loving Persian wife of Al Bu Said Sayydi Ibn Sultan who reigned Oman in 1806-1856, thought that the classical Omani Khanjar, with the rather simple I shaped handles was boring, and designed a new and more flashy khanjar dagger for her husband birthday. The new style rapidly become very popular and its used was spread all over the Arabian peninsula.

The classical Sayydi khanjar will have a handle made of rhino horn, richly decorated as described above, an L shaped scabbard usually decorated with gold and/or silver color threads and mounted with four heavy silver ring attached to the belt parts with a complicated arrangements of twisted silver wires. The more prestige Khanjars will have a seven rings attachment to the belt.

In the second half of the 20 C. similar daggers appeared with a whole silver handles but usually of inferior quality blade and silver work. The one shown above is from about this time, 1950 or so, although the blade of this specimen looks much like the quality blades of older pieces, so it may be an older blade mounted in a later style.

Nice and complete piece.
Oriental-Arms is offline   Reply With Quote