Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 16th November 2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Andy Stevens

Default Three North African daggers for ID

I've had these three beasts sitting in the box of unsorted bits, that lives under the stairs. I've never fully ID them other than a loose Taureg'ish tag. The commando style knife was said to have been picked up during WW11. The longer blade is 20cm in length. Any info will be met with tea and cake
Attached Images

Andy Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Center dagger is Tuareg,dagger on right is a Somali billao dagger. The one on the left I can't really call but it seems to be from Mali all are second half of the 20th century pieces.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 08:16 PM   #3
katana

Hi Lew,
is there the possibillity that the 'centre' dagger is Manding, Spring shows a similar dagger (p.47 'African arms and armour')

Regards David

PS Andy.....two sugars, hot and strong .....prefer a currant bun, instead of cake, if thats OK
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 11:31 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

[QUOTE=katana]Hi Lew,
is there the possibillity that the 'centre' dagger is Manding, Spring shows a similar dagger (p.47 'African arms and armour')

Regards David

I highly doubt that it is Manding the scabbard construction is identical to that found on takouba sword scabbards.

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 09:41 PM   #5
xerg

I can second the Tuareg diagnosis for the middle piece. You see small daggers with scabbards like that all over West Africa. In fact, they're one of the more common replica pieces. The green that they're painted with is supposed to emulate the green that bronze would oxidize to over time (as happens on real examples).

I'm not saying that yours is necessarily a replica, since I haven't seen a blade quite like that before. I lost the image (unfortunately due to the slow internet here) when I clicked reply, but I recall the hilt looking to be comprised of layered dark wood (they'd tell you ebony) and metal. I have a Tuareg hairknife whose hilt is done in the same style. Other than that, I haven't seen a decorative pommel like that or a blade with quite that shape. It's an interesting piece!
xerg is offline   Reply With Quote