Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 2nd May 2023, 02:51 PM   #1
10thRoyal

Default Another longshot: editions of Capo Ferro's Gran Simulacro

Sorry for the thread a week rate but I'm a bit stuck on this. I recently came upon 36 plates from Capo Ferro's Gran Simulacro. Hardly any provinonce was provided with it. Only non-original writing on it is on the front cover of the falling apart binding with some unintelligible writing. I was only able to make out the name of the engraver and "1630".

I am looking for information on the various editions of this text that are known. Wiktenauer has the only real information I've been able to source regarding the editions short of buying the books mentioned on the wiktenauer page. Based on the wiktenauer, there was a 1629 edition that removed all pages that did not include the engraved plates and moved portions of the text below those engraved plates. It is my guess that this is what I have. Does anyone have any further information? I've attached several of the pages I have as well as the watermark found on them (though I doubt this carries any great meaning).
Attached Images

10thRoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2023, 09:48 PM   #2
midelburgo

There is the Jared Kirby 2004 facsimil. Probaby in the intro mentions that.
I remember I wanted to buy it, when it became out of print. And now it is a bit overprized at second hand market.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2023, 03:05 PM   #3
10thRoyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by midelburgo View Post
There is the Jared Kirby 2004 facsimil. Probaby in the intro mentions that.
I remember I wanted to buy it, when it became out of print. And now it is a bit overprized at second hand market.
Ah yes, another research text that costs more than the item you are researching.
Old 4th May 2023, 03:47 PM   #4
Interested Party

10th Royal, Nice find. How do you store and conserve a text that old?

Has anyone looked at the Jared Kirby 2021 publication of the "Gran Simulacuro"? If so, is it the same material?
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2023, 05:21 PM   #5
10thRoyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
I'm actually still trying to figure that out myself so any info would be appreciated.

Quote:
Has anyone looked at the Jared Kirby 2021 publication of the "Gran Simulacuro"? If so, is it the same material?
After a very helpful conversation with Michael Chidester, the text and format does match the 1629 edition. This edition does not include about half the book, removing all pages that don't have text that describes a specific plate. The Kirby editions looks to be the same format as the 1610 format of Gran Simulacro with the text describing a plate being on the page opposite of the plate describe. On the 1629 and 1652 editions, these descriptive texts are moved directly below the image but the text is more or less the same. So the text matches Kirby, minus the half of the text that isn't paired with specific plates.
Old 5th May 2023, 04:40 PM   #6
Bob A

Quote:

Brodart has archival supplies for libraries. You might also contact the Library of Congress for specifics. If it was mine, I'd probably keep the individual sheets in polyester sleeves, as it looks as though they've been dismounted.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/archival-supplies/
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2023, 08:13 PM   #7
midelburgo

Old paper made from rags is much more stable than modern papers, specially those from second half of XIXth century, and war periods. Some acidic inks could give problems, but that would be visible by now. Enclosing in plastic could be problematic if you live in a humid area and mold developes. Probably the worse problem could be silverfish insects (lepisma), because they can ravage single leafs and it is better to avoid sunlight. Leather bindings are a different matter, but you do not have that.
midelburgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2023, 01:25 PM   #8
10thRoyal

Quote:
Originally Posted by midelburgo View Post
Old paper made from rags is much more stable than modern papers, specially those from second half of XIXth century, and war periods. Some acidic inks could give problems, but that would be visible by now. Enclosing in plastic could be problematic if you live in a humid area and mold developes. Probably the worse problem could be silverfish insects (lepisma), because they can ravage single leafs and it is better to avoid sunlight. Leather bindings are a different matter, but you do not have that.
You bring up a good point since I live in Florida and humidity is a bit of a thing here. I'll contact someone in the conservation field for information.