Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 31st October 2022, 06:05 PM   #1
Kmaddock

Default a shibriya knife maybe?

Hi All
I just purchased this at an auction for a few euro ,
Called an "Egyptian Knife" by the auction house, I taught it might be a bedouin shibriya. But I don't really know, looks to have some age to it though.

All pictures from the one picture the auction provided on sale and i zoomed in
anyone any opinions
Thanks
ken
Attached Images

Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2022, 09:43 PM   #2
Gonzoadler

Hello,

I know this curved daggers as Druze daggers from the Golan Heights. Many of them are made in Majdal Shams.

Regards
Robin
Gonzoadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2022, 09:18 AM   #3
kronckew

A Syrian Jambiyah rather than a saibriyah, I would think. Needs a bit of TLC.

The shabriyahs have a different recurved blade shape like this one of mine with a 6 in. blade:
(they come in a variety of sizes too, Jordanian Camel Corps carry fairly large ones)
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 1st November 2022 at 10:52 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2022, 11:43 AM   #4
A.alnakkas

Jambiya or Janbiya is a southern term. In the levant the term was not in use for such daggers which was used commonly there beyond the Druze. There are various production centers with their distinct styles; such as cylindrical hilts or more squared ones. Blade types vary as well and are imported to other cities which makes it difficult to pinpoint an actual location.
A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2022, 12:47 PM   #5
broadaxe

The common term is "khanjar" (dagger), and as Mr. Alnakkas pointed out, hard to determine exact origin. This one seems more general-Syrian rather Majdali.
broadaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2022, 08:55 PM   #6
kronckew

I agree, the Syrians seem to like their hilts inlayed with rings of brightly and differently coloured stone. A bit too garish for my taste.

A Syrian khanjar: (NOT mine) similar hilt, bit better condition.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2022, 09:22 PM   #7
Kmaddock

Thanks all for your knowledge,
I should have the knife this week all going well and I will be able to se if any more information can be gleaned
Regards
Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2022, 12:40 AM   #8
ariel

This is a typical knife from Madjal Shams. This Druze village ( small town, really) was the exclusive producer of these knives for a very long time. In 1967, as a result of the Six Days War Israel captured the Golan Heights and four Druze villages, Madjal Shams included, fell under Israeli control.

From there on, Madjali knifemakers could not sell their knives to other Arab countries. Using this opportunity, many Syrian and Lebanese workshops were established and started producing their copies of Madjali knives.

Kmaddock's knife is quite old ( my guess late 19th-early 20th century), which by definition puts it into the " Real Madjali Druze" category. Good catch!

New " Madjali-like" knives are not real Druze, but Syrian/Lebanese mass produced copies.

I have a short saber of the Ottoman era with European blade and fully intact Madjali handle. The only Druze sword I have ever seen.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2022, 03:47 PM   #9
motan

Joined this one late, so I don't have much to add. Syrian?-yes, Majdali?-yes, made in Majdal Shams?-probably, old?-probably around 1920-30.
Unfortunately, the condition does not necessarily mean age.

I disagree with Ariel though. The oldest types were made in Majdal Shams (most probably), but other styles and and production centers are earlier than 1967. During the great Syrian (Druze) revolt, many militant Druze found shelter in Majdal Shams and purged the Christian families from the village. Some of these were dagger makers and they moved to other parts of Syria.
motan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2022, 05:25 PM   #10
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by motan View Post
Joined this one late, so I don't have much to add. Syrian?-yes, Majdali?-yes, made in Majdal Shams?-probably, old?-probably around 1920-30.
Unfortunately, the condition does not necessarily mean age.

I disagree with Ariel though. The oldest types were made in Majdal Shams (most probably), but other styles and and production centers are earlier than 1967. During the great Syrian (Druze) revolt, many militant Druze found shelter in Majdal Shams and purged the Christian families from the village. Some of these were dagger makers and they moved to other parts of Syria.
Thank you very much for a good historical clarification. You are unquestionably correct: some masters just migrated elsewhere and kept manufacturing same/similar products.

Still, we can safely accept that the old ( be it 1926 or 1967) daggers of that style were largely, if not exclusively, made in Madjal Shams. Somewhat similar situation happened in the Caucasus: really old Daghestani or Circassian weapons were made locally in Daghestan or Circassia. However, after the end of Shamil Wars the Circassian were largely expelled to the Ottoman Empire and continued making their weapons in Turkey or other parts of the Empire, while Daghestanis in large numbers joined workshops in Vladikavkaz, Tiflis or somewhere else. I was talking about presevation of the "Pattern" rather than "Location".

Wars are great stimuli for the migration of weapons: they were the earliest engines of globalization.

Last edited by ariel; 10th November 2022 at 05:46 PM.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote