Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th July 2021, 11:50 PM   #31
Indio_Ira

Here's my Tailbong with engraving and red guard from the Pulahan movement.

From the provenance of this blade, it was captured from a dead native man in 1906 in Samar Leyte.

There was a lot of Pulahan movement in Leyte during that time.

Xasterix - hopefully the engravings can help your research, I also would like to know if anyone has any knowledge on my blade besides what the information that was given to me.
Attached Images

Indio_Ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2022, 02:04 PM   #32
xasterix

Been a while since I've checked this thread, bumping it up with additional pieces...I feel lucky to now have three garabs...thanks to Rick and Kino for these!
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 08:29 AM   #33
SanibelSwassa

Default Garab… one of my favorite!!!

Here is where the collection stands. Always looking for others to join the little family.

Thank you to all who have shared their collections and their knowledge!
Attached Images

SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2022, 08:08 PM   #34
kai

Thumbs up

Wow, great collection and the one with the long blade really tops it: Usually, the longer blades tend to be more slender (possibly to make up for the additional material needed during blade-smithing). Despite it's length, this blade is really beefy and must be a real beast! I guess it's still nicely balanced as pretty much all long-time survivors are?

Laminations also seem to be the rule rather than the exception for these old-timers...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2022, 04:30 AM   #35
SanibelSwassa

Default Balance

Kai,

The balance is really remarkable and the blades belly and thick spine lend themselves to force to force blocking and super agile counter thrust movements along with the traditional massive chop, which is easy to see in the blade shape. Very effective for moving from largo to medio range where the blade has its most lethal potential.

No wonder the Pulahan used these weapons to great effect! In looking at the examples in my collection it is also clear that edge retention during combat was not always an important consideration, maybe another reason for the thick spine and characteristic thumb grove just above the hilt on the spine. This may have supported the thrusting and limb cleaving chops from these incredible blades.

I am very grateful to be the caretaker of these blades and the tradition they represent.

Make it a great day!

SS
SanibelSwassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2022, 02:44 PM   #36
AHite

Default My World War 2 era Talabongs

I acquired these two Talabongs at the same shop. I believe they were brought to the USA by a US sailor or Marine after their service in the Philippines. One is marked "Subiner", possibly the maker's spelling for "Souvenir" with the date 1945. The other is unmarked but I believe from the same era. The Subiner talabong has wire binding the scabbard, while the other uses rattan. The handle (hilt?) of the Subiner talabong is damaged with part of the guard broken off. Both are razor sharp.
Attached Images

AHite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2022, 02:59 PM   #37
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHite View Post
I acquired these two Talabongs at the same shop. I believe they were brought to the USA by a US sailor or Marine after their service in the Philippines. One is marked "Subiner", possibly the maker's spelling for "Souvenir" with the date 1945. The other is unmarked but I believe from the same era. The Subiner talabong has wire binding the scabbard, while the other uses rattan. The handle (hilt?) of the Subiner talabong is damaged with part of the guard broken off. Both are razor sharp.
Nice bringbacks! These were the blades that many guerillas used in the war, then later on became souvenirs to US soldiers.
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote