Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th August 2006, 08:53 PM   #1
D. Cooke

Default Story Dha- Burmese?

This was my grandfathers, now my father's. He puchased this at Auction in Germany or Austria approx. 40 years ago. I recently came to learn that this was called a Dha or Story Dha and after a google search found some links to ths forum. I thought I would post these pictures here and see if anyone had an Idea about what the story is, how old is it? Etc.

Thanks in advance

-D
Attached Images

D. Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 03:55 PM   #2
Andrew

Hi D, welcome to the forum.

That is, indeed, a Burmese "story" dha. It's in the style many of us call "temple" swords, but it looks to be of better quality than the typical example.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 03:49 AM   #3
D. Cooke

Thanks for the reply, I have been trying to find someone who would be able to translate the inscriptions, but as yet no luck.

Thanks again.

Dan
D. Cooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2006, 05:14 AM   #4
wilked aka Khun Deng

Definately a nice knife. Haven't seen an abundance of the story Dha in the dagger size but others have had more experience. If by translation you mean the characters on the blade, I'd like to know what they are also. If there is any characters on the scabbard, Burmese or English that would also help determine it's age as most that I've seen have the date or the name of the person presented too. They were many of these given as presentation pieces to English government employees in the late 1800s and early 1900s.
wilked aka Khun Deng is offline   Reply With Quote