Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th January 2016, 09:13 PM   #1
Helleri

Default More information on Koumaya

So after seeing another thread on here where someone got a lot of info on their Koumaya I figured I'd post up mine and see what could be gleaned.

With things like edges that have not been smoothed from handling. Generally cheaper end construction. A hollow clanking scabbard. No markings whatsoever. And the black in the recesses of the engravings not being dinged from age but paint. All taken together...I get this tourist knife feeling from it. Of course this being my first Koumaya. That all may just as easily be common quality for a common mans knife.

But having gotten it for $10 at a flea market (and talking the guy down from $25). Even if it is, I am still pretty happy with what I paid for what I got (though it would be nice to know either way). And I figure at the very least it is probably after a style of a time period. So if it is a mimicry I might be at least able to find out what specifically it is mimicking.
Attached Images

Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 04:03 AM   #2
kahnjar1

Welcome to the Forum Helleri. I'm sure you will find the information and comment shared here of interest and help with your collecting.
One does not get much for $10 these days but this has to be worth what you paid. Likely to be tourist type but at least some attempt has been made to shape the blade correctly. Some of these simply have a plain metal unsharpened blades. The handle and scabbard appear to have been finished quite nicely also. We all have to start somewhere with our collecting and this is perhaps better than some we see made for the tourist trade. I assume the handle is wood, and the scabbard brass? A good start to your Koumyya collection until you get something better to take it's place. We all had to start somewhere and over time are likely to have had some tourist items among our better items even if it is to fill a gap.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 05:01 AM   #3
Helleri

Thanks...And yeah the handle is wood and the fittings and scabbard are brass. I don't think the blade is original to it. Under that butt cap (which with some effort can be shimmied off), the tang is folded over, and it seems like a lot more then is really needed. It's like a good two inches, when you could get away with a half inch or even a mushroom peen and a washer easily. Could be re-hafted?

Aside from that, seems most of my collecting is place holder collecting, lol. It's pretty much what I can afford to do right now. And once in a while you do find a diamond in the rough (like my M1393/Collins & Co. Legitmus No.128 1942 machete).

In any case I am decent at refurbishing/refinishing. And it wouldn't take much work to pretty this up for eventual resale at 4-5x my cost (which at some point I will probably do in order to either make room for or put funds towards a new acquisition).
Attached Images

Helleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 05:07 AM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

On Moroccan Daggers ...See Below
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default koummya

Salaams Helleri, Type into Search; Moroccan Daggers ...Most people type in a wrongly spelled Koumiyya, Koomya, Koummiyaa, etc etc... so it doesn't respond ... Moroccan Daggers works.

Oh I almost forgot ...Please see http://www.vikingsword.com/ethsword/koummya/index.html

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote