Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21st May 2007, 02:18 AM   #1
CourseEight

Question Manrikigusari?

Hi all --

I picked this up at an antique mall for virtually nothing. I know nothing about these kinds of weapons, but this seems to be a manrikigursari:

http://www.geocities.com/koryu-bujutsu/masaki.html

My question is: how old is this one, and was this one intended for use? The patina on the weights seems genuine, but I can't find any constructed like these are: they have a spindle protruding from them, with the decorative washers and the means of attatching the chain threaded through the spindal. Then the spindle is flattened on the top to keep it all in place. One of the weights is missing some of the washers. From each weight is a little brass "tag," but though they're the same basic shape they are slightly different, so not machine done. The whole thing jingles when spun, which might be the point. The links of the chain itself are formed in an "s" shape, and a couple look like they've been broken and repaired.

I'm happy with it, even if it's a chinese knockoff or some kind of novelty weapon. They still sell plainer ones brand new for about what I paid for it anyway. But of course if it does have any authenticity I'd love to hear it!

--Radleigh
Attached Images

CourseEight is offline   Reply With Quote