Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 18th September 2023, 11:00 PM   #1
Jerseyman

Default Wooden Hilt Short Sword for Identification

I can't place this sword/knife with any certainty. It feels like an item from Borneo or the Indonesian archipelago, but I may be completely off base and it could be from somewhere in Africa.

The hilt is simply carved as is the scabbard, which has a nice integral carved belt loop, and interestingly a drainage hole at the end - this argues for a wetter climate perhaps. The scabbard is carefully designed to accept the unusually shaped blade.

The blade is particularly nice, though it has suffered some corrosion loss where it enters the hilt. It is flat on one side and convex on the other with an asymmetric medial ridge. The edges are sharp but it feels as thought it's primarily designed for the thrust.

I had carefully cleaned some light rust off the base of the blade many years ago without removing any blade material, but seeing it again I see it has returned which leads me to think that the tang has rust that I didn't reach originally. I'd appreciate any thoughts on how to mitigate that in a non-invasive manner.

Dimensions

Length 66cm
Blade length 49.5cm
Blade width 3cm
Hilt length 14cm
Hilt width 5cm x 2.5cm
Scabbard length 52cm
Scabbard width 4cm
Attached Images

Jerseyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2023, 06:29 AM   #2
Tim Simmons

I like it. To eye it could be from one of the many people's that inhabit the hill country of India/Burma borders.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2023, 10:35 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Jerseyman,

You may be correct about Indonesia/Borneo as a likely origin, but I would not rule out the Philippines also. Old triangular cross-sectioned blades are seen from Luzon, and perhaps the Visayas also.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote