Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 11th June 2011, 12:38 PM   #1
buendia

Default Knife/dagger identification problem

I don`t have any idea where this knife comes from. I thought maybe Balkans, but I didn`t find anything really similar. Can you help?
The knife is about 25cm long.
Attached Images

buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 01:12 PM   #2
tom hyle

Is the grip one-piece with a full length stalk tang? Is it horn?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Atlantia

For some reason I'm also thinking Balkan/Turkish possibly Greek....

Nice piece!

Last edited by Atlantia; 11th June 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 03:04 AM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

I agree looks Turkish.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 01:02 AM   #5
buendia

Grip is made of horn, but I didn`t have it in my hands so far. I`ll write more about it on Tuesday. What`s an English term for the punched embelishments on the blade? It was very common in the whole Carpathian region till WW1/WW2.
Old 17th June 2011, 04:16 PM   #6
buendia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom hyle
Is the grip one-piece with a full length stalk tang? Is it horn?
Answer to both questions is YES.

I have found very similar ornaments on the blades of Bosnian and Silesian highlanders` traditional knives (respectively).
Silesian highlanders live on the Czech - Polish border, and are the most north-western descendants of Vallachian shepherds from the Balkans (came in 15th century). The similarities are conspicuous.
Attached Images

Old 18th June 2011, 11:34 AM   #7
tom hyle

Such a tang seems more Persian or European than Turkish.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2011, 07:55 PM   #8
sisi_d

This is a Bosnian or Croatian knife. They are called youth knives are worn by young men who were not married.
sisi_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2022, 10:26 PM   #9
gp

the first knife is typical Balkan, comming from the Ottoman influence but found in Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia till 1945.

The other is typical for Bosnia and surrounding border area of Croatia and Serbia. Also backdating from the Ottoman times.
Typical are the circular , sometimes straighh lines, looking like a "naive"like semi sun with little stars around.
As you can see in the examples.

Used as multi use knives for fishing, hunting and such. Given to older boys but also a good companion for an adult , and ...useful if needed in a fight in those days.
They also exist with a slight longer blade.
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 22nd May 2022 at 01:23 AM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2022, 10:37 PM   #10
gp

2 more examples of the first one which are from 1930-1945 Croatia
Attached Images

Old 21st May 2022, 11:27 PM   #11
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by buendia View Post
Grip is made of horn, but I didn`t have it in my hands so far. I`ll write more about it on Tuesday. What`s an English term for the punched embelishments on the blade? It was very common in the whole Carpathian region till WW1/WW2.
We used to call it wigglework or wiggle work a traditional cheap and fast metal embellishment, but don't bother trying to reference it on google. All references are swamped by other irrelevant stuff now..... Ooh hang on "engraved by wiggle-work on metal" delivers this. https://robbinacekeller.wordpress.co...i-mean-wiggle/
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2022, 08:07 AM   #12
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp View Post
2 more examples of the first one which are from 1930-1945 Croatia
Hi Gunar,

I think the two knives are different from the knife in question, similar yes but different.

I guess that my knife, shown in this thread; http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=black is a match.

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2022, 01:12 PM   #13
ariel

The clasp knife is a classical Ваlkan example: short and wide blade with a pronounced clip point. There are many identical examples shown in Tarik Gozo’s book “ Balkan Arms”. The exaggerated clip point is likely a purely technical feature to fit the wide blade into the curved handle: otherwise the blade would massively protrude and make the overall contour uncomfortable. The only example of a similar blade I know is the so-called Malappuram Katti from Kerala: but that area in India was heavily influenced by Arabs and Turks.

But what is really interesting is the blades of the non-clasp variety. They are identical to the panoply of Central Asian P’chaks , commonly known as “Bukhara” or “Uzbek” knives: among the shown examples we see Tugri ( point at the level of the spine), Kaike ( point raised above the spine) and Kazakhcha ( narrow blade with a short clip point). It makes me wonder whether both Balkan and “Uzbek” knives are renditions of ancient Turkic knives retaining their shapes in both localities for the past half-millenium.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2022, 08:21 PM   #14
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
It makes me wonder whether both Balkan and “Uzbek” knives are renditions of ancient Turkic knives retaining their shapes in both localities for the past half-millenium.
could well be: in some Turkish literature this is also mentioned and one Turkish history professor specifically mentioned the origin of these type of knives backdating to the early Turcish tribal dagger types of late Middle Ages to 16th/17th century.
I have the text in English but never knew how to interpret this "claim"

Last edited by gp; 25th May 2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old 25th May 2022, 08:32 PM   #15
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen View Post
Hi Gunar,

I think the two knives are different from the knife in question, similar yes but different.

I guess that my knife, shown in this thread; http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ighlight=black is a match.

Regards,
Detlef
you are correct: yours and the link are way earlier (pre WWI I would think) than the 2 which I showed.
Yours originate from the Ottoman times or taken as example from them by good makers. Similar can indeed be found in other regions
The 2 which I showed are not that bad but way less and locally made by some craftsmen in Southern Croatia or Herzegovina, decades later WWII or just a decade prior that when a decline in the craftmanship early started or just a cheap and simpler version was made for a non "noble"...
definitely a quality difference as well indeed
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 25th May 2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old 3rd June 2022, 03:27 PM   #16
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
The clasp knife is a classical Ваlkan example: short and wide blade with a pronounced clip point. There are many identical examples shown in Tarik Gozo’s book “ Balkan Arms”. The exaggerated clip point is likely a purely technical feature to fit the wide blade into the curved handle: otherwise the blade would massively protrude and make the overall contour uncomfortable. The only example of a similar blade I know is the so-called Malappuram Katti from Kerala: but that area in India was heavily influenced by Arabs and Turks.

But what is really interesting is the blades of the non-clasp variety. They are identical to the panoply of Central Asian P’chaks , commonly known as “Bukhara” or “Uzbek” knives: among the shown examples we see Tugri ( point at the level of the spine), Kaike ( point raised above the spine) and Kazakhcha ( narrow blade with a short clip point). It makes me wonder whether both Balkan and “Uzbek” knives are renditions of ancient Turkic knives retaining their shapes in both localities for the past half-millenium.
update / follow up:

just bought one of the non-clasp / straight variety ones (together with a clasp one) in Hercegovina where they are sometimes found & offered for sale and it looks very similar to both shown ones at the top and by Detlef's link. It is a typical knife known and used in the past there, confirmed by the local folks.

With the interaction in the Ottoman times it could well be some kind of exchange took or could have taken place between regions perhaps.
Unfortunately a lot is written about big fancy swords and daggers but hardly anything on this smaller knives
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 3rd June 2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old 4th June 2022, 06:18 PM   #17
werecow

Is that a regulation size cat?
werecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 12:17 PM   #18
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
There is no such thing as a regulation size cat, they vary dimensionally, but not mentally. They ALL love boxes, and will push things off shelves, counter tops, cliffs, edges in general.

They all will quite happily live with humans, and even love and protect their own human pride members. But they remain cats. Obligate Carnivores. As long as you feed them and respect their personal space, you are relatively safe.

Just remember that if they get hungry, you are ultimately their mobile food store. They always have a plan in the back of their heads on how to kill and eat you. Remember, the cat is ultimately in charge, not you. You are its servant.
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 07:43 PM   #19
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by werecow View Post
which one are you refering to ?
the one in the left picture or the kitten in the right...?
Old 19th December 2022, 12:24 PM   #20
gp

also 2 different ones I bought some time ago in the Balkans
Attached Images

Old 9th September 2023, 12:27 PM   #21
gp

just got a 3rd one; a small Bosnian knife or little dagger.
Some call it kama, other cakija others again noz...
Depends whom you are talking to and where.
It is # 3 on the pics.

Nevertheless sharp they are and deadly as well.
Nicely decorated with similar paterns on the blade, small curved lines and dots ( triangle and circular)

First one with a scabbard although nothing fanciful like the bicaks who have wooden scabberds with copper decorated overlay.
Only metal left; could well be that either cloth or leather did cover it at some time , which has gone or deteriorated through the times.

Timewise diffecult to determine; could be anything from 1860ies to 1930ies.
Handle or grip is bone, decorated with colored circular signs ( not as nice as the bichaqs which have inlays) , one without quillion and two with.
One without a rear bolster / pommel and two with
Attached Images

Old 10th September 2023, 10:28 PM   #22
OsobistGB

There is not a single Bosnian knife in the photograph shown.They are characteristic of the region of Θεσσαλονίκη/Thessaloniki/Солун located on the territory of present-day Greece.There, the ethnic composition of the population is so diverse that there is no way to define exactly which ethnic area the knives belong to
OsobistGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2023, 05:35 PM   #23
gp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsobistGB View Post
There is not a single Bosnian knife in the photograph shown.They are characteristic of the region of Θεσσαλονίκη/Thessaloniki/Солун located on the territory of present-day Greece.There, the ethnic composition of the population is so diverse that there is no way to define exactly which ethnic area the knives belong to
Interesting….you say first it is not Bosnian and later you say you can not define….

Either a woman is pregnant or not, but there does not exist something like a little pregnant…(defining it to yet a region….)

Nevertheless….I bought 2 out of 3 in Herzegovina…which is part of Bosnia now and in the past since the Kingdom of Tvurtko.

Than again a lot of folks from different etnicities lived in Bosnia and Hercegovina: Vlachs, Montenegrins, Serbian, Croation, Bosnian, Turkish, Albanian, Greek, Roma, Sephardic Jewish….hence many influences did enter, were taken over into different ways of live.
In a multicultural society like the Ottoman Balkans was, one must be careful to make such firm statements….

When you mention characteristics, mention them specifically and in detail, but I can assure you that there are also Austrian books on the Balkans from 1880 which mention characteristics dedicated to (perhaps) others….

Solun was not Greek but Macedonian with a first in the Balkans very heavy Sephardic population, which spread later to other countries an regions like Serbia, Dalmatia, BiH and so on …..

I can only claim where I did buy the knife…

Last edited by gp; 11th September 2023 at 05:48 PM.
Old 11th September 2023, 09:15 PM   #24
OsobistGB

Quote:
Interesting….you say first it is not Bosnian and later you say you can not define….

Either a woman is pregnant or not, but there does not exist something like a little pregnant…(defining it to yet a region….)

Nevertheless….I bought 2 out of 3 in Herzegovina…which is part of Bosnia now and in the past since the Kingdom of Tvurtko.

Than again a lot of folks from different etnicities lived in Bosnia and Hercegovina: Vlachs, Montenegrins, Serbian, Croation, Bosnian, Turkish, Albanian, Greek, Roma, Sephardic Jewish….hence many influences did enter, were taken over into different ways of live.
In a multicultural society like the Ottoman Balkans was, one must be careful to make such firm statements….

When you mention characteristics, mention them specifically and in detail, but I can assure you that there are also Austrian books on the Balkans from 1880 which mention characteristics dedicated to (perhaps) others….

Solun was not Greek but Macedonian with a first in the Balkans very heavy Sephardic population, which spread later to other countries an regions like Serbia, Dalmatia, BiH and so on …..

I can only claim where I did buy the knife…

Look...I have no desire to argue. You can believe whatever you want. The very fact that you claim that Thessalonica was Macedonian is indicative of your knowledge of history to me.
In my humble opinion, the knives you have shown are not typical Bosnian knives.
Old 12th September 2023, 11:40 PM   #25
gp

Quote:
Look...I have no desire to argue. You can believe whatever you want. The very fact that you claim that Thessalonica was Macedonian is indicative of your knowledge of history to me.
In my humble opinion, the knives you have shown are not typical Bosnian knives.
Neither do I wish to argue but have to say that I am very delighted and pleased by your most charming and very intelligent remark on your judgement of my knowledge

Kindly requested to provide me the characteristics of your determination as I am most eager to learn from your wisdom and also the literature where I can find this to add that / enlarge my small collection of books...
Old 12th September 2023, 11:59 PM   #26
TVV

Ethnic attributions can be tricky and loaded with potential controversy. Geographically, I have seen a mention of "солунски ножове" (Thessalonica knives) in Bulgarian literature, and seems to refer to small knives with bone hilts with the solar decorative motive, like the second one from top to bottom on your stand.

Yours came from Herzegovina, which may mean that it was made there or it may mean that it simply ended up there at one point after being made elsewhere. I cannot claim anything conclusively, but I believe Osobist may be on to something in this case.
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2023, 08:04 AM   #27
OsobistGB

Quote:
Neither do I wish to argue but have to say that I am very delighted and pleased by your most charming and very intelligent remark on your judgement of my knowledge

Kindly requested to provide me the characteristics of your determination as I am most eager to learn from your wisdom and also the literature where I can find this to add that / enlarge my small collection of books...
As Theo mentioned, the topic is quite debatable. Also, having a lot of books does not automatically make us experts ....It takes a lot of time. Allow me the following provocative question...what would you describe this knife as?
Attached Images

Old 13th September 2023, 01:48 PM   #28
gp

Smile

Quote:
As Theo mentioned, the topic is quite debatable. Also, having a lot of books does not automatically make us experts ....It takes a lot of time. Allow me the following provocative question...what would you describe this knife as?
Books doesn't make an expert indeed, but can make us scolars and assist to distinguish between ignorance and knowlede. Quite some experts wrote books in the past, unfortunately not much on small / little cold weapons...
( except the fancy decorated ones, specially golden and belonging to the wealthy aga's or aristocrats and rich landowners).

In the Balkans ( Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia and Montengro) the last 10 years quite interesting publications and books have been published !

The hilt or grip looks like Balkan and can be seen on a lot of bichaqs but sadly seems to miss its ferrule like you can see here :

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=bichaq
or in my collection
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ion#post283727

But as for the blade, narrow and long, I can not say for sure as I have not seen this type that often; mostly at auction houses with fancy or strange description of origin...sometimes even as an African dagger :-)
being doubtful, I never touched them...

The type of scabbard I have seen some similar ones in Montenegrin ones but also Greek cold arms but that is a region I have limited knowledge on.

This specific one; although a nice scabbard, the knife looks incomplete to me (ferrule f.i.) , and hence I would not have it in my collection, no disrespect nor offence intended at all...

Last edited by gp; 13th September 2023 at 02:04 PM.
Old 13th September 2023, 09:35 PM   #29
OsobistGB

Quote:
Books doesn't make an expert indeed, but can make us scolars and assist to distinguish between ignorance and knowlede. Quite some experts wrote books in the past, unfortunately not much on small / little cold weapons...
( except the fancy decorated ones, specially golden and belonging to the wealthy aga's or aristocrats and rich landowners).

In the Balkans ( Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Bosnia, Croatia and Montengro) the last 10 years quite interesting publications and books have been published !

The hilt or grip looks like Balkan and can be seen on a lot of bichaqs but sadly seems to miss its ferrule like you can see here :

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ghlight=bichaq
or in my collection
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ion#post283727

But as for the blade, narrow and long, I can not say for sure as I have not seen this type that often; mostly at auction houses with fancy or strange description of origin...sometimes even as an African dagger :-)
being doubtful, I never touched them...

The type of scabbard I have seen some similar ones in Montenegrin ones but also Greek cold arms but that is a region I have limited knowledge on.

This specific one; although a nice scabbard, the knife looks incomplete to me (ferrule f.i.) , and hence I would not have it in my collection, no disrespect nor offence intended at all...
I am surprised by the fact that you have a decent amount of Bosnian knives and still claim that the first three are from that region.Yes, in recent years, quite a few books have been published with pictures and information on the subject. The question is how many of them are written by professionals / historians / ethnographers and so on? And of course, they are very informative and useful, but personally I avoid using them as a bible. That is, they are not subject to doubt.
Regarding my knife...don't worry at all, you're not the only one who can't identify it. I have an affinity for mysterious objects Just wanted to illustrate that the obvious isn't always obvious
Old 14th September 2023, 02:56 PM   #30
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Osobist,

Your last item is very interesting. I'm not experienced at all in the subtleties of edged weapons from the Balkans and neighboring areas. However, I do like cross-cultural pieces and this particular item seems to be full of multicultural influences. The very nice sheath looks Greek to me, the hilt from Sarajevo or thereabouts, and the much sharpened blade from somewhere in the Mediterranean region. I don't know whether the sheath has always been with the knife but the hilt and blade seem to have had a long term relationship.

What are your thoughts on your knife?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote