Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th April 2015, 10:53 AM   #1
S.Workman

Default Show or Exhibit Info

Would it be useful to have a spot where we can post dates and places of upcoming arms collector shows or relevant museum exhibits that feature arms? I can't say how many times I've missed exhibits that were only a few hours away, and had to settle for picking up an exhibition catalog. If this topic is improperly located, it would be great for a mod to move it.
Since we are on it, does anyone know of any upcoming shows?
S.Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 12:11 PM   #2
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Hi S.Workman,
The usual place for members announcing shows and other events is the Swap forum; so let's move it.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Lee
EAAF Staff

Exclamation Posting events

If you look at the green navigation bar at the top of the page above, just to the left of the middle you will see a link to 'Calendar'. Members may view and add events to that calendar (this is not a change, this has been available since incept.)
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 02:20 PM   #4
S.Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
If you look at the green navigation bar at the top of the page above, just to the left of the middle you will see a link to 'Calendar'. Members may view and add events to that calendar (this is not a change, this has been available since incept.)
Yes, that's a good feature, but I was thinking more along the lines of recommendations from those of us who have seen an exhibit, or been to a particular show previous years. It might help to get a first hand experience from someone in the know.
Old 17th April 2015, 10:49 AM   #5
S.Workman

I will take this chance to tell you about a great exhibit for anyone interested in ancient art and weapons. It is "The Greeks: Agamemnon to Alexander", and it is quite stunning. The works range from Neolithic up to Classical Athens, but as far a weaponry goes, there are entire suites of arms from grave finds. These include:
-Bronze swords from the famous Shaft Graves of Mycenae, all very beautiful.
-An entire grave assemblage from Crete, with long sword, dagger, and arrowheads.
-Military grave finds from Mt. Olympus, with very finely made swords
-A later bronze age warrior grave from Corinth, with sword, dagger, and spears.
-A very early Iron Age cremation of a warrior, with his arms, cinerary urn, and the bones of a decapitated human sacrifice laid outside the pyre.
-The arms and helmets of Bottiae, neighbors of the Macedonians.
-The larnax, greaves, sword, and spear of Philip of Macedon (probably)
-A very large military kit of a warrior priest, a very interesting grave.
And a great deal more, including corresponding high ranking female graves, art, etc.
It is one of the most wonderful exhibits of ancient art and arms I have ever encountered, truly a treasure house. It is at the Pointe a Calliere museum in Montreal QC for about another week, then it goes to Gatineau QC, then to the Field Museum in Chicago (I think) then on to Washington DC. I hope more dates and venues can be added, but we'll see. I would love to add photos, and I would have loved to fill my phone with them, but the Greeks can be very silly about photographing their archaeological materials and photography is forbidden at the exhibit. The catalog is quite nice though, so I bought that.
Anyway, I hope you get to go and enjoy this exhibit.