Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th November 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Albert

Post New book: 'Iron Ancestors, Kris Sajen, Kris Majapahit and related Objects'

A new book: 'Iron Ancestors, Kris Sajen, Kris Majapahit and related Objects' has been published. I posted a book review on the Swap Forum.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 12:50 AM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Firstly i moved your thread in swap to the Keris Swap since i would imagine that was where you would have intended it be placed and where it belongs.
Secondly i am copying the review part here, sans pricing and place of purchase since no discussions can take place on the swap forum and i would think that we would want to discuss this new book. It looks like an exciting new entry.

Review from Albert:
This publication titled 'Iron Ancestors. Kris Sajen, Kris Majapahit and related Objects' deals with a remarkable type of Javanese kris: the kris sajen also known as the kris Majapahit. It is a weapon, or rather an amulet, dating from a distant past and entirely forged from a single piece of iron. This book is the first to be almost fully devoted to these krisses. In order to introduce these `iron ancestors', the author drew from his own extensive collection as well as from other private collections. The National Museum of Ethnology (Leiden, The Netherlands) contributed by way of nine krisses, including the kris sajen found in 1842 inside the main stupa of candi Borobudur. In addition, the Tropenmuseum (Amsterdam) provided the `kris Knaud', the only kris that carries a date in casu 1264 of the Saka Era that corresponds with 1342 AD.

Consecutively, the following subjects are discussed: the acquisition of the author's collection, the kris in general, his explanation of the term `iron ancestors', the kris sajen which occurs in twelve types and several varying models, very small krisses, krisses from the Majapahit period (1294-1527 AD), the badi (where the head of the small figure that shapes the grip faces the cutting edge), the kudi (i.e. a fancifully shaped knife), figures depicted on and in the blade, and examples of fakes. An extensive bibliography is furthermore included.

The book is abundantly illustrated. Almost every page counts one or more illustrations depicting 'iron ancestors'. The quality of the photographs taken by Ben Grishaaver is nothing less than magnificent. One would expect them to exude a black and white sphere when dealing with objects entirely made of iron. However, thanks to state-of-the-art exposure techniques these photographs reveal the smallest details of these krisses while not discarding their subtle hues. In addition, Karel Sirag's exquisite drawings supply an extra dimension to a selection of the objects already presented. The reposed, finely balanced book design by JNJ-studio must also be credited. The space created on each page allows the beauty of these objects to be fully admired.

The choice and flow of words differ from what we usually come across in comparable literature. `Iron Ancestors' is written in the first-person narrative. The author expresses himself in an anecdotal style while sharing his experiences. It is therefore an easy read, but at the same time somewhat sketchy. One must, nevertheless conclude: never before has such a huge amount of information on this type of kris been accumulated in a single publication. For one reason or other, any indication of pedigree is not included when discussing the majority of the weapons kept at the Leiden Museum of Ethnology. This is indeed rather unfortunate as they are quite old and mostly acquired by the above museum between 1890 and 1905.

All in all, it is an outstanding and important book that fills a hiatus regarding the literature on krisses. Plenty has been written on this subject in a broad sense, on the shapes of blades, on pamor, on he types of hilts, etc. Any information, however, on the kris sajen or kris Majapahit is almost entirely lacking until now. With the publication of 'Iron Ancestors. Kris Sajen, Kris Majapahit and related Objects', this shortcoming has been redeemed. It is indeed indispensable for those interested in Javanese culture in general, as well as for aficionados of the kris in particular. Highly recommended!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 03:01 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

I have now finished reading "Iron Ancestors".

The photography and illustration is superb.

The production of the book is of the highest quality.

The text is flowing and easy to read.

It is well referenced and very few of the author's statements are not backed up by a reference.

The nature of the book is that it is a commentary on the keris sajen and associated objects, together with mention of some related subjects, such as kudi.

The theories presented are not new, there is no new research revealed.

I do not agree with everything that the author has presented, but this is merely difference in opinion and is not a matter for debate.

This book is a first class production, and it provides a much needed source dealing specifically with Indonesian talismanic weapons. It has my complete endorsement as a worthwhile addition to the library of all keris collectors.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 03:31 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Alan. It's now on my Kerismas list...
Old 17th November 2010, 05:48 AM   #5
Alam Shah

I'm waiting for mine to arrive.. Thanks Alan for the review.
I've seen your name mentioned in the preview..
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Newsteel

I'm fortunate enough to browse through that new book and I like it. A book about sajen kerises and with good photos.
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 06:17 PM   #7
David
Keris forum moderator

This was under the tree for me for Christmas.
Will report back after a full perusal...