Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th September 2009, 12:10 PM   #1
Tim Simmons

Thumbs up South Sudan spear dagger

Picked up this rather cool dagger this morning and thought it interesting enough to show here. The blade is 39cm long. It has a curious toasting fork end to the blade which I think makes it look cool. Would make a good intestine extractor. That might sting a little.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default Unusual

Unusual, to short to be used on emu parade.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 06:39 PM   #3
katana

Curious weapon, I'm wondering if this is a 'one shot deal'...... once 'penetration' was achieved, it would be very difficult to 'retrieve' because of the barbs

Is it possible that the 'dagger' was 'toxin laden' with a poison ...or even faecal matter to insure infection ?

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 07:14 PM   #4
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Curious weapon, I'm wondering if this is a 'one shot deal'...... once 'penetration' was achieved, it would be very difficult to 'retrieve' because of the barbs

Is it possible that the 'dagger' was 'toxin laden' with a poison ...or even faecal matter to insure infection ?

Regards David
Then, why make a scabbard for it?
And, in general, the scabbard is much more "professional" than the blade. And just imagine the ease with which the "dagger" can be drawn out or inserted.....
Makes no sense to me, unless we are talking about a "marriage". Or the Sudanese have a very perverted sense of humor.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 09:26 PM   #5
katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Then, why make a scabbard for it?
And, in general, the scabbard is much more "professional" than the blade. And just imagine the ease with which the "dagger" can be drawn out or inserted.....
Makes no sense to me, unless we are talking about a "marriage". Or the Sudanese have a very perverted sense of humor.

Hi Ariel,
usually a dagger is slender and sharply pointed ..... deep, precise penetration is it's main intended function, which could be repeated quickly by the lack of resistance whilst being 'withdrawn'.
The fork and the barbs counter good penetration and would certainly make withdrawal difficult for a repeated attack.

Barbed spears were used in the Sudan against the British ...inflicting terrible wounds caused by their painful removal.

Thats why I considered the 'toxin' angle ....the barbs 'securing' it to the victim, allowing more time for the 'poison' to infect the wounded. Why a scabbard ? Well if poisoned.....better 'put away' until required....than accidently infecting yourself or your comrades whilst carrying it

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 08:41 PM   #6
colin henshaw

Hi

Interesting - seems like a fishing spear point converted into a dagger, probably Mahdist origin.

I believe that the Mahdists and their armies (many of black Southern Sudan origins) were pretty short of weapons, and basically used whatever they could get or make up, often revealing their tribal origins...

Regards.
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote