Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2016, 09:29 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Ottoman Tufuk Carbine

Hello all.
Here is a new aquistion. This is a rather plain example, with minimum decoration. In fact, it's a bit difficult to see the brass decoration. The patina is so dark it almost blends with the stock stain. There is a makers mark on the lock and barrel. And there is a stress crack on the bottom of the butt stock. The lock is in working order, but needs cleaned and adjustment. The barrel has light engraving with a cannon style muzzle and measures right at .60 caliber. And there's some light engraving on the barrel. In fact, the barrel looks some-what Persian. But probably not. Anyway, this gun will clean up and restore nicely, with minimum fuss. Here's some pics. Thanks for looking.
Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2016, 09:31 PM   #2
rickystl

SOME MORE PICS...............
Attached Images

Old 7th May 2016, 09:33 PM   #3
rickystl

STILL MORE..........
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Kubur

Hi Rick,

Beautiful and nothing is missing!
I see what you mean with the "Persian" stamp on the barrel, the Ottomans did that too. I suspect your barrel to be old...Is it possible to have an 18th c. barrel? Its a simple tufek but very complete. Can you use an oil or a wax to show the difference of wood used for the butt? Which kind of wood is it?

Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 03:40 PM   #5
Kubur

On the lock, normaly the stamp is in the middle of the circle.
Is it possible that the guy was drunk and missed the circle to stamp the edge of the barrel?
Old 9th May 2016, 11:28 PM   #6
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rick,

Kuber, it looks to me that the butt may have been replaced at one time and may not be original, what do you think?
estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 08:50 AM   #7
kahnjar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Kuber, it looks to me that the butt may have been replaced at one time and may not be original, what do you think?
The two woods do look different
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2016, 09:32 AM   #8
Kubur

Quote:
yes the woods are different and they are original. Please, have a look at other Ottoman rifles or tufek you will see always a decoration at 1/2 or 1/3 or the butt. The decoration marks a change in the butt stock. Very often the wood was different, sometimes on the caucasian guns it was a piece of walrus ivory, on the boliya, the butt end is covered with a red textile. On the Arab matchlocks it was another extra piece of wood added around the butt. I don't know the technical reason, I'm sure that Rick will explain that better than me.
Kubur
Old 10th May 2016, 08:51 PM   #9
estcrh

Quote:
yes the woods are different and they are original. Please, have a look at other Ottoman rifles or tufek you will see always a decoration at 1/2 or 1/3 or the butt. The decoration marks a change in the butt stock. Very often the wood was different,
Yes you do see this type with an all wood stock, it just seemed like the butt on this example may not be quite right but with only a photo it is hard to tell, Rick could answer that better as he can see if the butt seems to match the rest of the stock as far as the wear and finish.
Attached Images

Old 11th May 2016, 01:21 AM   #10
rickystl

Quote:
Hi Rick,

I see what you mean with the "Persian" stamp on the barrel, the Ottomans did that too. I suspect your barrel to be old...Is it possible to have an 18th c. barrel? Its a simple tufek but very complete. Can you use an oil or a wax to show the difference of wood used for the butt? Which kind of wood is it?

Best,
Kubur
Hi Kubur.
Yes the gun is mostly complete. Even the original ramrod, which the patina matches the barrel exactly. Yes, the barrel really does look old. It would not surprise me if the barrel was 18th Century, and re-stocked sometime in the first half of the 19th Century. I'll let you know about the wood. The whole gun needs a good (correct) cleaning. I can do this while the lock is being cleaned and adjusted. Again, the barrel does look really old. I checked, and it's not loaded. LOL
Rick
Old 11th May 2016, 01:22 AM   #11
rickystl

Quote:
On the lock, normaly the stamp is in the middle of the circle.
Is it possible that the guy was drunk and missed the circle to stamp the edge of the barrel?
LOL!! Yes it does seem to be a bit unusual location for a maker's stamp. It's deep too.
Rick
Old 11th May 2016, 01:39 AM   #12
Pukka Bundook

Grand looking gun, Rick!!

Hard to date these barrels, as they were used over and over.

Not loaded............that is good. :-)

Just got a matchlock from the UK.
Had a firework, some sand and a 6" oval nail down the barrel!
Pukka Bundook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2016, 02:24 AM   #13
rickystl

Quote:
Yes you do see this type with an all wood stock, it just seemed like the butt on this example may not be quite right but with only a photo it is hard to tell, Rick could answer that better as he can see if the butt seems to match the rest of the stock as far as the wear and finish.
Hi Estcrh. How have you been?
FRONT AND REAR WOOD OF THE BUTT STOCK: The wood on the rear of the butt stock is definately different than the wood on the grip area and forearm. but as Kubur mentios, this is quite common. It's a bit hard to tell in the photos because the gun really needs cleaned. But in this case, I believe the butt section was original to the gun. One reason I believe this is that the sharp edges of both pieces are rounded/worn equally. And the brass nails on the brass strap all match with the same patina. What is intersting is the butt cap section being held in by two wood dowels rather than long nails like you usually see. But I've seen many of these with both the same, and different woods used. If it was changed, it was certainly done back in the period sometime. But again, a good cleaning will tell me more.
Rick.
Old 11th May 2016, 02:28 AM   #14
rickystl

Actually, it's also missing one of the small brass decorations on the left side, and there are 3-4 small worm lines. But the brass will be easy to replace.
It is nice getting the original ramrod, which rarely shows up on these guns.
Rick
Attached Images

Old 11th May 2016, 05:20 AM   #15
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
What is intersting is the butt cap section being held in by two wood dowels rather than long nails like you usually see.
Hey Rick, I have seen some with butts that were added separately like yours, since most have the butt end covered up or you do not get to see images of it I could not figure out how it was attached but maybe the use of wood dowels was common but just how seen, with either a plate or decorations covering it up.

It looks like the butt end was not cut evenly, is that just from the angle?
Attached Images

Old 12th May 2016, 01:27 PM   #16
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook
Grand looking gun, Rick!!

Hard to date these barrels, as they were used over and over.

Not loaded............that is good. :-)

Just got a matchlock from the UK.
Had a firework, some sand and a 6" oval nail down the barrel!
LOL!!!
Old 12th May 2016, 01:30 PM   #17
rickystl

Quote:
Hey Rick, I have seen some with butts that were added separately like yours, since most have the butt end covered up or you do not get to see images of it I could not figure out how it was attached but maybe the use of wood dowels was common but just how seen, with either a plate or decorations covering it up.

It looks like the butt end was not cut evenly, is that just from the angle?
Hi Estcrh.
No, it's just the angle of the photo. There appears a small, old repair on the edge. I'll take another photo so you can see. (as soon as my camera battery is recharged
Rick