Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd August 2008, 04:32 PM   #1
James

Default Need info on "Indochinese" blade

Hello, this is from a friend of mine, said to be of indochinese origin ("indochinoise" = pre vietnam name of the French asian colonies).

43 cm handle , short 7 cm handle.

looks like a small jian of chinese origin, but , we are interested by your expert opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by James; 23rd August 2008 at 06:26 PM.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 06:06 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default It is indeed Chinese...

Welcome James,

It is indeed a Chinese small jian, unfortunately it is missing a few parts. The scabbard would have been covered in turtle shell, it is lacking the cross guard and two other scabbard fittings. Have a look at the images below and you will be able to pick out what it would have looked like in a former life.

Some people pass these off as tourist pieces, I guess for a want of a better word they are but not "tourist " as we know it today. there are examples in South East Asian countries, found in museums. It is my understanding that dignitaries from other countries were often presented these as tokens of appreciation from the Chinese government, as far as dates go, I am not certain but others I have spoken to over the years do put these at 1860-1900.

regards

Gavin

If youd like further images, let me know as I am getting a few together for others interested in items I have in the swap forum.
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 08:49 AM   #3
James

Hi Gavin,

Thanks a lot for the help !
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 07:15 PM   #4
josh stout

Yes, it is a fushu duan jian, with good luck bats (fu) surrounding the longevity symbol (shu). They do seem to have traveled. I have one that is 100% Chinese that was found in Sumatra. Supposedly it was brought by a family that was fleeing the Taiping rebellion. Not sure how true that part is, but the time period would be accurate.
Josh
josh stout is offline   Reply With Quote