Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th November 2012, 06:14 PM   #1
rickystl

Default Gun Barrel ID

This is a smooth bore pistol barrel. Does anyone know the markings on the barrel? Looks Greek to me. Thanks for any help. Rick.
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2012, 11:26 PM   #2
rickystl

Thought I would move this up and give it another try? Thanks for any help. Rick.
Old 15th November 2012, 03:59 PM   #3
RDGAC

I keep looking at this but every time I do, I find myself puzzled. I have to say that I don't think it looks like Greek (at least, not any Greek script I've ever seen - I wouldn't pretend even for a second that I have any ability in the language), or indeed Cyrillic.

Weirdly, the marks almost look more like the sort of talismanic stuff you normally see on swords and the like from Northern Africa, to my (untrained) eye at least. Perhaps a North African pistol barrel?

Also, what's up with that little scab of metal toward the fore-end? It looks as if someone's been at it with a file.

Best,

Meredydd
RDGAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Lyubo_sr

It certainly is not Cyrillic.
There are many markings imitating signs.
Shown in the third picture looks like somewhat of a probationary stamp of the third test trial of arms, Birmingham, placed untill 1904- see attachment.
I hope I was helpful.
Attached Images

Lyubo_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 08:19 PM   #5
kahnjar1

Hi Ricky,
I have thoroughly gone thru my Proof Mark reference books and can find no mark the same as those shown on the side of the barrel. The crossed maces?? look a bit like the marks used by the Birmingham Proof House in the UK but are NOT the same, so the origin remains a mystery. As to the marks on the top of the barrel, I have no idea at all. The script, if is IS actually script, is not familiar.
Sorry I can't be of more help.
Regards Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2012, 06:44 PM   #6
rickystl

OK. Thank you all for your input. This one is a real puzzle. Appreciate your efforts. Rick.
Old 19th November 2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Andreas

Dont know what the script is, or even if it is one, but the proof marks look like the British pre-1813 Kings Proof and View mark, see http://www.birminghamgunmuseum.com/m...ptres_Mark.pdf
Regards,
Andreas
Attached Images

Andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas
Dont know what the script is, or even if it is one, but the proof marks look like the British pre-1813 Kings Proof and View mark, see http://www.birminghamgunmuseum.com/m...ptres_Mark.pdf
Regards,
Andreas

Salaams Andreas ~ Thoroughly excellent reference thanks I enjoyed reading that...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 05:57 PM   #9
kahnjar1

Yes I agree they LOOK like, but are not IMHO. Proof marks do not vary in any way as they are an OFFICIAL item designed for a specific purpose.....gun barrel Proof, and the Brits take this VERY seriously, for a very good reason....safety.
Stu
Quote:
Regards,
Andreas
Old 19th November 2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Yes I agree they LOOK like, but are not IMHO. Proof marks do not vary in any way as they are an OFFICIAL item designed for a specific purpose.....gun barrel Proof, and the Brits take this VERY seriously, for a very good reason....safety.
Stu
A reasonable assumption, but it seems that there were variations within the basic design of these early crown over crossed sceptres marks, please check the pics below. In numismatics a similar situation is called a die variety, variations in a coin’s design that are attributed to the die from which the coin was struck.
Regards,
Andreas
Attached Images

Old 19th November 2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Andreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Salaams Andreas ~ Thoroughly excellent reference thanks I enjoyed reading that...
Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Xerete Ibrahiim,
Thank you and I'm glad you found the article interesting.
Regards
Andreas
Old 19th November 2012, 11:28 PM   #12
kahnjar1

Your point is taken re variances. My comments are based on three very notable authors who have researched world Proof Marks. They are W.W Greener, Mr Lee Kennett and Baron Engelhardt, all of whom have published works on the subject.
Regards Stuart
Quote:
A reasonable assumption, but it seems that there were variations within the basic design of these early crown over crossed sceptres marks, please check the pics below. In numismatics a similar situation is called a die variety, variations in a coin’s design that are attributed to the die from which the coin was struck.
Regards,
Andreas