Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th January 2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Aurangzeb

Default Unusual Russian dagger

Hello All!

I just bought this unusual Russian dagger. I know it's not that old but it looks functional. It does not strike me as a tourist piece but rather a crudly made "folksy" work knife. It vagly resembles a Kindjal but I don't think it is one. I will post better pic when I get it. The story that came with it might be true but I take Ebay stories with a grain of salt! Any comments are welcome!

Mark...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Russian-Metal-Do...em140058347882
Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 03:26 PM   #2
ariel

Any time we deal with e-bay, a pound of salt is in order!
But in this case, I have no great objections to the description. It does look like a lot of home-made knives in 1970s Russia. At that time, EVERY bladed weapon was banned ( not just "slap-on-the-wrist"- banned, but " you-go-to-jail"-banned !!! ) To purchase a hunting knife in a sporting goods store one had to bring an official permit from the police, register the knife and pay yearly tax ( just like machine guns in the US). Obviously, all hunters ( and criminals, and everybody else ...) had illegal,fighting style home-made knives. Something people should remember when they discuss gun control...
This one looks very much in line. Its style reminds old Russian-Varangian swords: national pride at its best! As to its alleged prison origin... Also may be true: I have a Russian book on prison knives: they made gorgeous and supersophisticated stuff in the GULAGs! Kind of underground art therapy

So, my friend, it all may be absolutely true!
Still.... keep the grain of salt...
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2007, 01:54 AM   #3
Aurangzeb

Hello Ariel!

Thank you, very interesting information! I finally have a knife from my homeland, so nedless to say this knife is going to get special treatment! I guess when one is looking forward to spending time in the GULAG one has time to make good knives! All joking aside I can only imagine what the finished product was used for. So this is the "zip-gun" gun knives! How long did the Soviets have the policy of banning knives?

Mark...
Old 7th January 2007, 03:21 AM   #4
ariel

Are you originally from Russia?
The policy was in effect as long as I can remember: till mid-70s..
Likely, until the collapse.
Old 7th January 2007, 04:05 AM   #5
Aurangzeb

Hello Ariel!

I was born in Slocum, Pennsylvania. My Great-Grandfather was a Cossack who fled Russia right before the Bolsheviks overthrew the Tzar. But I still consider it "Mother Russia"! I speak some Russian that my grand-father taught me(and still is). I have a bad tendancy to start yelling in Russian when I get mad or mix in the occasional Russian word here or there!

Mark...
Old 7th January 2007, 04:17 AM   #6
ariel

Well, kid, for a modest honorarium of a shashka or two I can teach you some Russian that will make your cossack great-grandfather blush in his grave
Old 20th January 2007, 03:05 AM   #7
Aurangzeb

Here are the close up photos.

Mark...

P.S.- Ariel some basic insults in Russian would be useful...
Attached Images