Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 28th March 2019, 07:09 PM   #31
vilhelmsson

Not to be unsympathetic, but I'd recommend checking in with the auction house before you bid for a shipping estimate in writing. Then you can, in good conscience, hold them to it or walk.

I think you'll notice that it is quite difficult to find disparaging information about even the marginal auction houses online because they go to great effort to satisfy customers who can document that they were wronged.
vilhelmsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 06:59 PM   #32
Sajen

Rick, I know that it's a narrow path and I am far away from want to offend Schuler, the won item is very nice and was won rather cheap. But when packing and shipping are more expensive as a personal pick up by a distance over 600 km to an other country there is something wrong for sure IMVHO.
And I only want to inform other members that they have to expect very high shipping cost for won items you don't expect, I've paid a third from the asked price by an US auction house for a much bigger item. An "in advance" query about shipping costs for a rather small item would have been maybe possible but circuitous and was never before required. But I've learned, I will do it next time by not before "used" auction houses.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 29th March 2019 at 07:10 PM.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2019, 07:26 PM   #33
Mel H

I would say that it's always a wise move to make a query regarding prospective shipping charges before bidding. I spoke to an auctioneer friend this week and he told me that he's surprised at the amount of people who ask for a condition report, then do buy online without any idea of what the shipping cost will be.
Mel H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 03:21 PM   #34
Green

i wish auction houses make it as easy as ebay
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019, 03:42 PM   #35
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

I'm sure auction houses have been feeling the pain since ebay came on the scene.
I also wonder (because I rarely use auctions) how much of a pain they consider it to be answering shipping questions before an auction.
This must be even harder when they farm out the shipping to unaffiliated companies.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 05:46 PM   #36
vilhelmsson

Can I give a shout out to Czerny's?

I asked about shipping and handling on a single sword to the United States and they said it would be about €220 pre-VAT. I ended up with 3 items, including a sword, and the final tally with insurance and VAT was €256.20 (€210 pre-VAT).
vilhelmsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019, 06:07 PM   #37
Will M

I am finding now that UK packing/shipping swords to Canada is in excess of £100 and this is not including Canadian taxes/duty.
Only once I purchased a lot with 4 items, smaller knives. The shipping co tried to charge £150. I told them a sword 3x the boxed size is £100 so they reduced it by £50.
Taking advantage of foreign buyers results in less sales to them.
Personally I have all but stopped buying anything in the UK. One must buy extremely low and must be a good piece to warrant these exorbitant charges.
I have found on occasion a very few auction houses offer in house shipping which is usually considerably less than other couriers.
I do not use UPS since their policies in the UK prevent them from shipping any antique sword and you wind up waiting for weeks to have your package resent by another firm and get a refund for taxes/duty.
Will M is offline   Reply With Quote