Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12th March 2011, 06:32 PM   #1
vantique

Default my cannon collection

Hello everyone. May you all be protected from these forces of nature as well as from man-made mayhem.

To still my earthquake/tsunami jitters, i've my meager cannon collection to show.

Here are my european muzzle and (asian??) breech loader cannons, as well as one out of two similiar lantakas for your perusal.

The european one has a plugged touch-hole. Light poking with wire and poring down of oil through the hole has proven that a drilled hole exists.

The breechloader has an irritating face located near the muzzle which was welded in to conceal a reconnected muzzle to the rest of the cannon.

The lantaka has inscriptions which I will photograph and post if anyone is interested.

Any comments, suggestions and/or pieces of advice on provenance, authenticity and makeovers are most welcome.

Be well, all.

vince
Attached Images

vantique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 08:22 PM   #2
laEspadaAncha

Hi Vince,

Nice cannon. I am especially drawn to the European cannon in the first picture. I guess I am a little surprised the muzzle is not thicker given the diameter of the bore...

Thank you for sharing those, and if I read your post correctly, you are somewhere in an area affected by this (latest) tragedy. I hope you are yours area faring well, and along with our forumites affected by last month's quake, remain safe.
laEspadaAncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 05:21 AM   #3
vantique

Hello, laEspadaAncha!

Thank you so much for your comments .

Here are some more pictures on the muzzle as compared to the bore.
The picture in my first post on this part of the european cannon was
a bit distorted at the center (where the bore hole looked cavernous compared to the cannon wall which looked thin since it was taken
closeup). My purpose was to show its interior.....

As you can see from the new pics the muzzle is bell-shaped, the wall increasing in mass exterior-wise as you move away a bit from the front
of the cannon. Hope the muzzle-bore ratio looks good now .

take care.

vince
Attached Images

vantique is offline   Reply With Quote