Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th July 2015, 12:40 AM   #1
Amuk Murugul

Default REGULATION KALEWANG / PEDANG MARSOSE ( aka Klewang / Kelewang ):

Hullo everybody!

ENJOY!

A selected representative sample, including data which may not be available elsewhere.

Developed in the field for use in close-combat and brush-clearing, thus combining the functions of golok and cutlass. It was mainly to counter the devastatingly effective blades of the Atjehans.
Optimised to suit indigenous personnel ( i.e. strength, length and weight ).
A cutlass-fencing regime was designed specifically for its use.
As demand for kalewangs far outstripped local production, production was transferred to Europe ( 1898 ); mainly Soemmerda and Solingen, as Hembrug was not yet ready for production-line operation ( 1912 ).
European-made blades of regulation-kalewangs were subjected to stringent bending-tests: they had to withstand a bending of 5cm. without breaking and then be able to resume their straight form.

*N.B. The alphanumeric: M....., denotes the European Model number.

Operation in the tropics necessitated protective/anti-corrosion coating on blades:

European blades:
Pre-M1905 - no bluing
M1905 onwards - 'browning' ( blue-black colour )

USA blades:
VINCE - 'parkerised' ( opaque grey )
LILLY-AMES - 'blued' ( blue )
MILSCO - 1946 - 'browning' ( blue-black )
- post-1946 - 'parkerised' ( opaque grey )

With reference to Fig.1, anti-clockwise:

1 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1903 SOEMMERDA (M1898)
Blade: LxOALxWxT = 60x72x3.53x0.49cm
Beginning of sword handle
Back-slide fixed by hammered tang ( Fig.4 )

2 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1909 SOLINGEN (M1905)
Blade: LxOALxWxT = 61.5x74.5x3.53x0.66cm
Beginning of back-slide fixed by tang-screw (Fig.4 )

3 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1909 SOEMMERDA (M1905)
Blade: LxOALxWxT = 61x63x3.55x1.00cm
I.D.: P.A.L./389 = Pasoeroean, Malang & Probolinggo Regional Police

4 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1910 HEMBRUG (M1905)
Blade:LxOALxWxT = 61x73.5x3.45x0.54cm
Finger-loop hole ( Fig.3 )

5 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1918 SOLINGEN (M1911)
Blade: LxOALxWxT = 62.5x74.5x3.57x0.49cm
I.D.: P.A.K./406 = Kediri & Blitar Regional Police
Beginning of knife handle

6 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1927 HEMBRUG (M1911)
Blade: LxOALxWxT = 62x74.5x3.53x0.45cm
I.D.: P.A.O./571 = Batavia Metropolitan Police

7 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1940 HEMBRUG (M1911)
Blade:LxOALxWxT=62x73.5x3.54x0.1cm
I.D.: 2-Bar.III/156 = 2nd.Co., Soemenep Corps

8 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1941 LILLEY-AMES (M1911)
Blade: LxOALxWxT=63X75.5x3.58x0.57cm
Bakelite scales
Acquired by US Army

9 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1941 LILLEY-AMES (M1911)
Blade: LxOALxWxT=63.0x75.0x3.55x0.59cm
Bakelite scales
Acquired by US Navy

10 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose) 1941 VINCE
Blade: LxOALxWxT=62x74.5x3.53x0.57cm
Beginning of hickory scales and
Beginning of rounded clip-point tips ( Fig.7 )

11 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1946 VINCE
Blade: LxOALxWxT=63x75x3.59x0.45cm
Beginning of guard-holes with no 'broken corners' (Fig.5 )

12 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1946A MILSCO
Blade: LxOALxWxT=61x73.5x3.6x0.45cm
Wrist-loop hole with rounded ends ( Fig.8 )
Larger fuller

13 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1946A MILSCO
Blade: LxOALxWxT=62x74x3.55x0.49cm
Wrist-loop hole with rounded ends ( Fig.8 )

14 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1946A VINCE
Blade:LxOALxWxT=62x74x3.55x0.46cm
Wrist-loop hole with rounded ends( Fig.8 )
Top portion of guard shaved off
ExTNI-AD Div.VI-Siliwangi HQ Bandoeng

15 Kalewang ( Pedang Marsose ) 1946A VINCE
Blade: LxOALxWxT=62x74x3.65x0.49cm
Began wrist-loop hole with rounded ends ( Fig.8 )

PRE-REGULATION EXAMPLES ( Fig.9 ):

1 Kalewang Djago ( De Haan ) 1875

2 Kalewang Atjeh 1880 ( Gliwang Ladieng with M1845/54 handle )

3 Kalewang Walanda 1895 GEVELSBERG ( El Gallito / De Haan )

4 Kalewang 1895 SOERABAIA ( based on M1876 sabre )

5 Kalewang Toemang 1898 TJIKEROEH ( based on M1876 sabre )

Best,
Attached Images

Last edited by Amuk Murugul; 26th July 2015 at 02:54 AM. Reason: update
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2015, 12:49 AM   #2
kronckew

mine, black solingen blade, razor sharp & needle sharp point, no markings on guard or grips, guard perforations have 'broken' corners.

blade 62.3 cm. loa 72.5, width at guard 35mm, 2.5 cm. from guard width is 30mm, width 5mm at forte. slotted screw pommel. 985 gm. with scabbard. 726 gm. w/o. - your 1911 no. 5/Kediri & Blitar Regional Police ?

also shown:
1906 klewang in the form of a hunting sword, blade 26 in./66 cm.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 26th July 2015 at 01:29 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 12:30 PM   #3
ruiter58

Thumbs up Questions on how to establish the year of manufacture

Hello Amuk Murugul,

Thanks for showing these klewangs (or Kelewangs) and the information. I collect klewangs for several years now and still I do not have all the inormation I would like to have. The book "Klewang" is very helpfull but is focussed on the museum collection. The book is not intended to be used to find out when or where your klewang is manufactured.

So, if you don't mind, I have a lot of questions.

- You have Hembrug klewangs in your collection and you have the year of manufacture. I have 6 Hembrug klewangs and I wondered how to determine their year of manufacture. For instance, I have a Hembrug M1911, marked with an "H" under a crown and has a brass plate on the basket stating P.A.N. 1499. The crown/H indicates inspector J.C.Harnas but I have no idea when this mark was used. I also found that the brass plate indicates it's use on Moerdara after 1931 by the Police forces. Is it possible to find out the year or period of manufacture?

- How do I recognize a Lilley-Ames klewang? Or is the klewang similar to the Vince but without the Vince mark? The one with the bakelite scales I know as the M1940 (based on the "Klewang" book)

- In fig 9, the pre-regulation Klewangs, you refer to the top one as Kalewang Djago ( De Haan ) 1875. Where does the "de Haan" come from? "Haan" is the Dutch word for "Rooster" and, according to the book "Klewang", de "Haan(-tjes)" klewang is the oldest type of klewang. Are there any marks on this Klewang?

Thanks and once again, nice collection!

Kind regards,
Ron de Ruiter
Netherlands
ruiter58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 02:56 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Interesting thread guys.

Krockew, I note the one that you call a hunting sword is very similar in style to the swords produced in Tjikeroeh and nearby areas of Westen Java in the early 20th C. The engraved fuller, acorn finials on the clam shell guard, the slightly curved grip with more acorn insignia, the two ferrules and a full tang with threaded end to accept a screw are all typical of the locally made version. There was often a marking of TJIKR or TJIKEROEH on the reverse side of the ricasso and usually a date. With plain steel blades, the locally made swords were of good quality and presumably made for Europeans.

Here are some previous discussions of the Dutch klewang and its variants:

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1132
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=948
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4250

Last edited by Ian; 15th September 2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added links to other threads
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2016, 06:17 PM   #5
kronckew

yes, info worth repeating for the new members, here's a thread we prepared earlier: LINKY

as you note, probably commissioned by the dutch for their own use. marked TJIKEROEH and 1906. my 'hunter' is a tad longer in the blade than the std. hembrug/milsco miilitary ones.

Last edited by kronckew; 15th September 2016 at 06:31 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 02:48 AM   #6
Amuk Murugul

Hullo Ron,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruiter58

- You have Hembrug klewangs in your collection and you have the year of manufacture. I have 6 Hembrug klewangs and I wondered how to determine their year of manufacture. For instance, I have a Hembrug M1911, marked with an "H" under a crown and has a brass plate on the basket stating P.A.N. 1499. The crown/H indicates inspector J.C.Harnas but I have no idea when this mark was used. I also found that the brass plate indicates it's use on Moerdara after 1931 by the Police forces. Is it possible to find out the year or period of manufacture?
- P.A.N. = West & East- Madoera
1499 = Weapon number
You have to be sure the stamp belongs to the right person. Look closely at the type of crown and the font. There were many inspectors who had the same initial in their surname; there were at least two HARNASes; A.G and J.C.H. Once the right person has been determined, find find out when they were likely to have stamped the item. Any kalewang produced in HEMBRUG is unlikely to have been produced prior to 1912 and even then, only in insignificant ‘test’ numbers, as they didn’t have the capability. Other clues could be other signs/markings on the kalewang or sheath. Remember that 1931 was only when the directive was issued regarding the brass plates. In actual fact, many items prior to this were subsequently marked in compliance.

Quote:

- How do I recognize a Lilley-Ames klewang? Or is the klewang similar to the Vince but without the Vince mark? The one with the bakelite scales I know as the M1940 (based on the "Klewang" book)
- Lilley-Ames: similar to M1911, but no stamp on blade, sharp clip-point, blue blade, bakelite machete-handle ( I’ve haven't seen one with wooden scales), ‘uneven’ shaving/sharpening of cutting-edge. ( Unlikely to have been produced at ACW-Bdg, as they had no such facility other than to assemble/repair. )

Quote:
- In fig 9, the pre-regulation Klewangs, you refer to the top one as Kalewang Djago ( De Haan ) 1875. Where does the "de Haan" come from? "Haan" is the Dutch word for "Rooster" and, according to the book "Klewang", de "Haan(-tjes)" klewang is the oldest type of klewang. Are there any marks on this Klewang?
- If you go to the info again, you will see why items nos.1 & 3 shared the same nickname. These item were purchased privately by soldiers as part of their field equipment ( as, in many cases, issued items were deemed inappropriate/impractical when one’s life depended on it ).

Bottom line is: confidence and faith in one’s ‘best’ guesstimation and be prepared to be wrong.

Best,
Amuk Murugul is offline   Reply With Quote