Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd January 2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Luc LEFEBVRE

Default Magnetic stand for weapons

I have design this magnetic stand.
Round heavy base (8mm height) , adjustable in height and rotation.
It can support a heavy weapon with 1 magnet, or a VERY heavy with 2 magnets, even sometimes with the scabbard.
Anybody else has this kind of idea ?
Luc
Attached Images

Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 10:59 PM   #2
Andrew

Lightbulb

That's great, Luc!

I wonder if small, powerful magnets, covered in suede or some other soft material, could be mounted on a wall to attach weapons to?
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 11:50 PM   #3
Bill M

Very nice stand, Luc.

Here is my attempt with magnest.

These Moro weapons are held in place by 1.5 inch long x 1 inch wide x 1/4 in thick neodymium magnets behind the cloth. I sawed a slot in a piece of oak board, screwed the board to the wall, inserted the magnets and then put the cloth to hide the board and additionally protect the blades.

If you use neodymium magnets, be VERY careful. Unbelievably powerful. I got these on eBay from a company called "Rattlesnake." Well named. Two magnets will attract each other violently.

Not so dangerous just holding the steel blade but they hold it very well and the cloth keeps them from scratching the blades.
Attached Images

Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 01:38 AM   #4
Dajak

Hi nice idea whit the magnets

regards, ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 08:04 AM   #5
wolviex

LUC! Great Idea, I would like to have someting like that! Is is available somewhere? If you cannot mention dealer and the price here, please send me PM or email: wolviex@poczta.onet.pl
Many thanks in advance!
wolviex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 03:15 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Here is where I buy the ones I use to mount on the wall.

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/categories.asp?cat=86

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Luc LEFEBVRE

Nice wall Bill with good light.
In fact I've hurt myself with the magnets 2 or 3 time, my fingers remember this moment...
Luc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
Very nice stand, Luc.

Here is my attempt with magnest.

These Moro weapons are held in place by 1.5 inch long x 1 inch wide x 1/4 in thick neodymium magnets behind the cloth. I sawed a slot in a piece of oak board, screwed the board to the wall, inserted the magnets and then put the cloth to hide the board and additionally protect the blades.

If you use neodymium magnets, be VERY careful. Unbelievably powerful. I got these on eBay from a company called "Rattlesnake." Well named. Two magnets will attract each other violently.

Not so dangerous just holding the steel blade but they hold it very well and the cloth keeps them from scratching the blades.
Luc LEFEBVRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2007, 11:41 PM   #8
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc LEFEBVRE
Nice wall Bill with good light.
In fact I've hurt myself with the magnets 2 or 3 time, my fingers remember this moment...
Luc

Thanks Luc,

I have had 1 inch square magnets snap together with enough force to give me blood blisters. The bigger ones can actually break bones. It is unreal how powerfully they attract each other.

A six inch diameter by two inch thick can hold up 1175 POUNDS of iron and they are much more powerful attracting another magnet. The seller says this about a 6" x 2" magnet.

"This is an EXTREMELY Powerful Magnet! The end user MUST USE SAFETY PRECAUTIONS when unpacking and using this magnet. Remove all metal objects within a 5 foot radius before unpacking. Magnets of this size and strength can pull metals objects to them when brought too close. Two magnets of this size will fly together with great force and can break bones."

I am very careful when using 1" x 1.5" magnets, but they sure hold a sword well. They will each lift about 55 pounds of steel.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2007, 02:31 AM   #9
Emanuel

If these magnets are so strong, then can they attract the blade through the wood (or whatever) of the scabbard? Furthermore, is it difficult to separate the blades from the magnets?

Luc, In the picture where the scabbard is alone on the stand, how is it held? Is there a bracket around it?

Thanks all for these examples, they're a great way to present weapons...and anything else for that matter.

Emanuel
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote