Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st June 2006, 08:13 PM   #1
katana

Default European Military dress dagger? Any ideas??

Technically not ethnographic, but hoping someone might be able to identify this dagger. The blade is unsharpened but was very sharply pointed and is 22cm long. The cross guard is of brass and has a '6' or '9' stamped on it.(near to where the blade passes through it). Handle is leather covered (with wear patina) with brass wire binding/detail. The 'acorn' pommel again in brass, finishes the handle which is 11.5 cm crossguard to pommel.
The pommel is not screwed on, the tang passes through it and is rivetted/peened over. There is no scabbard,

The blade has, as best as I can make out, the name ''BERNHARD RICHTER'' in letters 2mm high, near the hilt. I've 'googled ' the name but really found nothing....except a late 19c chess player....and I suspect he won his games by 'check mate' ...rather than attacking his opponent.
I did find a very small picture of a very similar styled dagger, that was described as a 17c gunners dirk. I am not suggesting that this dagger is of that ilk, but the Victorians did like their replica's and I get the feeling it is of this era.

Has anyone any suggestions or comments which might help? Thankyou.
Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 11:20 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Take a look at this file ...

Check out this document.

http://www.fischerauktionen.ch/auktionen/390/text.pdf

If you do a search for Richter in this document you will find the quote below in German that mentions a knife for sale by Bernhard Richter from Coln. I think this describes a fancy dagger in the style of a German dagger of the 18th C. but made in 1900. That would seem to indicate Herr Richter was active in the late 19th and early 20th C.

Quote:
Galadegen, im deutschen Stile 18. Jh., Arbeit um 1900. Messinggefäss, reicher Dekor, massiver Griff. Linsenförmige Klinge, sig. BERNHARD RICHTER CÖLN. Tafel 12 L 92,5 cm Z: 1-2
CHF 200 / 300.–
EUR 135 / 200.–
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 09:08 AM   #3
katana

Thanks Ian,
in fact just under the name are the letters which appear to read 'COI N' , now I know it must be 'COLN'
Old 22nd June 2006, 09:19 AM   #4
Rather

Bernhard Richter of Cologne was established in 1869 and was a manufacturer of flags, flagstaff and club supply, for instance for shooting clubs. It is still common in Germany that the champion shot (refered to as “the king”) of the shooting associations carries a saber or a double edged hunting knife and still these are sold by companies for club supply.
I don’t think that B. Richter were manufacturers of the blades, but that their name on them is a kind of a trade mark. These weapons were intended for representative use.
Here are pictures from one of their old catalogues from 1904.
Attached Images

Rather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 09:29 AM   #5
katana

Thankyou Rather,
that would explain why I could not find Bernhard Richter, when I searched for 'cutlers' , 'knifesmiths' and 'armourers' .
Your information has been very helpful.....thanks again.