Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th September 2009, 09:27 PM   #1
kahnjar1

Angry SEIZED ITEM

Here is a first hand example of what can happen if items are not described correctly. This regulation was covered in the "New Zealand" thread above, and it shows the need for the SELLER to abide by the buyers requests, (which was CLEARLY given) when shipping items. Also to COMMUNICATE to the buyer any laws applicable to the originating country, which would stop the seller from declaring accurately, BEFORE sending anything.
I have just this week had an item seized by NZ Customs as it was not described correctly. My Permit to Import this particular item has also been revoked, and I am none too pleased, I can tell you!
The seller, in this case from the UK, now tells me that he could not describe item correctly, as it would have precluded him from exporting it. Bit late now I would have thought!
Traps for the unwary. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge of the UK laws as they stand now, could give us all a brief overview. I for one will not be buying anything else from UK dealers, if this is going to be an ongoing issue.
Regards Stuart
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:50 PM   #2
celtan

Sorry you went through that. A lot of questions go through my mind when exporting or importing a sword.
I recall SAC's motto : "Knowledge is Power".
Questions are like Scouts, they may prevent an ambush if you get the right answer...before the event. It's no fun learning by own experience.
Best
M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
Here is a first hand example of what can happen if items are not described correctly. This regulation was covered in the "New Zealand" thread above, and it shows the need for the SELLER to abide by the buyers requests, (which was CLEARLY given) when shipping items. Also to COMMUNICATE to the buyer any laws applicable to the originating country, which would stop the seller from declaring accurately, BEFORE sending anything.
I have just this week had an item seized by NZ Customs as it was not described correctly. My Permit to Import this particular item has also been revoked, and I am none too pleased, I can tell you!
The seller, in this case from the UK, now tells me that he could not describe item correctly, as it would have precluded him from exporting it. Bit late now I would have thought!
Traps for the unwary. Maybe someone with first hand knowledge of the UK laws as they stand now, could give us all a brief overview. I for one will not be buying anything else from UK dealers, if this is going to be an ongoing issue.
Regards Stuart
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2009, 03:37 AM   #3
kahnjar1

Hi Manolo,
Yes I definately agree that knowledge is power. The thing which most gets up my nose over this particular issue, is that the seller in this case, OBVIOUSLY knows that declaring blades correctly, precludes him from trading outside the UK, and is not communicating the need to mis-declare items to his potential buyers. I do not wish to, and will not, name the guilty party, but no doubt he will come unstuck eventually. The problem (for him) will of course only arise if, as in my case, the country to which he ships has a vigilant Customs Service.
Regards S
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 04:05 PM   #4
katana

Hi
interesting thread.

Are there issues, regarding sending a sword from the UK to the US, that I should be aware of. (taxes, declaration forms etc) Thank you

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Jens Nordlunde

It is an interesting thread, but it is not easy to get a clear overview.

Maybe under Discussion forum, CITES - An Informal Guide we could add web addresses to Societies dealing with this issue and/or web addresses to law pages in the different countries. If we could get the different web pages collected it would be far easier to get a the needed overview, and these pages will always be updated.

The address to the Swiss police web page on the issue is www.fedpol.admin.ch
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote