Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 22nd August 2017, 07:46 AM   #1
henri

Default Schnitzer & kirschbaum

Dear collectors ,

I would be interested to know a little bit more on these german makers Schnitzler & Kirschbaum from Solingen in Germany .
What kind of production period could we consider ?
I was told (?) 1822 to 1865 but other opinion that Wilhelm Bernhard Samuel Kirschbaum and Phillip Jacob Wilhelm Schnitzler set up "Schnitzler & Kirschbaum" in 1797...
I recently noticed a sword with all the characteristics of a French 1st Empire sword with the S and K ( NOT K and S for Kirschbaum and Schimmelbusch ) marking on the ricasso .
So wide distribution by S & K that difficult with only this marking to identify and confirmed a Napoleonic sword !!
Thank you for your comments and opinions
henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 01:30 PM   #2
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri
Dear collectors ,

I would be interested to know a little bit more on these german makers Schnitzler & Kirschbaum from Solingen in Germany .
What kind of production period could we consider ?
I was told (?) 1822 to 1865 but other opinion that Wilhelm Bernhard Samuel Kirschbaum and Phillip Jacob Wilhelm Schnitzler set up "Schnitzler & Kirschbaum" in 1797...
I recently noticed a sword with all the characteristics of a French 1st Empire sword with the S and K ( NOT K and S for Kirschbaum and Schimmelbusch ) marking on the ricasso .
So wide distribution by S & K that difficult with only this marking to identify and confirmed a Napoleonic sword !!
Thank you for your comments and opinions
First registered 3 Dec. 1808 as S&K.
Trading ceased in the mid 1860' when A.& A, Schnitzler began .
(from German Knife and Sword Makers 2015 edition),
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:29 PM   #3
M ELEY

Edited in error!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:38 PM   #4
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY
Edited in error!
Interesting , your sword of course could be considered to tie in with the date of 1808 , but it would be useful to see a reference to the earlier date of 1797 . It is also feasible that they were in the business of sword making a few years before they were registered .
Old 22nd August 2017, 10:37 PM   #5
M ELEY

Sorry, gents. I deleted the reference once I realized it wasn't S&K but another team of merchants I was thinking of! Sorry! Getting old!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 02:21 AM   #6
henri

Thank you Sir for your comments . I guess you are right , there is a possibility to extend the time frame for an earlier period . No much books references unfortunately ..... Into the Jean Lhoste book " Armes Blanches " page 142 , there are some informations ( sourced from Aries work ) where it is mentioned a marking S & K around 1830 ...
henri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 07:58 AM   #7
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri
Thank you Sir for your comments . I guess you are right , there is a possibility to extend the time frame for an earlier period . No much books references unfortunately ..... Into the Jean Lhoste book " Armes Blanches " page 142 , there are some informations ( sourced from Aries work ) where it is mentioned a marking S & K around 1830 ...
Currently the best book giving historical biographical details of edged weapon manufacturers in Germany is :
'German Knife and Sword Makers' ( Complete Edition A to Z Hardcover – published 2015 )
by Anthony Carter (Author), John Walter (Author), Henning Ritter (Author)