Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 1st September 2010, 01:29 PM   #1
BigG
Member
 
BigG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 75
Default Minang Bahari Keris

This is a nice Minang pc that I have, The minangs are found in both Sumatra & the state of Negri Sembilan in Peninsula M'sia. Where this originated from in uncertain to me.

The blade is of the Malay Alang form. It comes in a few variety, and this particular form is known as the Bahari due to its size which is slightly longer then the Anak Alang form. The blade is interesting as it has been tampered with along only one side of the blade. The blade also has silverish crystaline structure along the ganja and base of the blade.

The hilt is of ivory, the hilt cup is silver and the pendok covering the stem is of silver and all with fine ukirans. The base of the stem has a gold wash to its silver vase. The crosspiece of the sheath is of horn.

All comments wld be appreciated
Attached Images
      
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2010, 01:31 PM   #2
BigG
Member
 
BigG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 75
Default

The rest of the pics...
Attached Images
   
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 01:04 AM   #3
kai
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,670
Thumbs up

Hello Suhaimi,

Thanks for sharing and congrats! I love the stylized and well-worn hilt as well as the other gorgeous fittings...


Quote:
This is a nice Minang pc that I have, The minangs are found in both Sumatra & the state of Negri Sembilan in Peninsula M'sia. Where this originated from in uncertain to me.

The blade is of the Malay Alang form.

Is this based on the relatively straight blade profile? The base features look quite compatible with a Sumatran origin IMVHO? How well does the blade fit the scabbard?


Quote:
It comes in a few variety, and this particular form is known as the Bahari due to its size which is slightly longer then the Anak Alang form.

At 11.5 inches, this blade doesn't seem to be longer than most Anak Alang I've seen. Also, aren't most Bahari from Sumatra and most Anak Alang from the Malay peninsula? (I thought I understood that the B vs. AA classification was more based on blade style rather than on length only?)


Quote:
The blade is interesting as it has been tampered with along only one side of the blade.

How does it look on the other side? Could you please show close-ups of the upper third? At the moment this does look more like an unevenly exposed core to me rather than differential hardening of a single edge but this impression may well be wrong.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 01:42 PM   #4
BigG
Member
 
BigG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Is this based on the relatively straight blade profile? The base features look quite compatible with a Sumatran origin IMVHO? How well does the blade fit the scabbard?


What I know is as follows; The Minang Origin is based on the overall looks especially that of the fittings. The minangs hav a very distinctive style of their own.
The straight bladed profile of this style is mainly found in the Peninsula, Riau islands and southern Sumatra. It is usually named under the catch all term of a keris Bngkinang by the Javanese. It comes in many stylised forms. Wholly straight such as this or stylised curved blades almost like the curve that you see in a Bugis Sepokal blade.. The distinctive features are at the base... usually wth the comma like feature and the ricikans..

The blade fits the sheath well although there is a bit of lossening, but the this is expected as the cross piece is made out of horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
At 11.5 inches, this blade doesn't seem to be longer than most Anak Alang I've seen. Also, aren't most Bahari from Sumatra and most Anak Alang from the Malay peninsula? (I thought I understood that the B vs. AA classification was more based on blade style rather than on length only?)


From what I have been told.. the Alang family is diffrentiated by the length of the blades. Wth the anak (child) Alang being the shortest. This is followed by the Bahari. From here on there is a bit of a muddle. Wths some sources telling me that the Bahari and Alang is of the same length while others saying that the alang is langer then the Bahari just short of it being a true Keris Panjang... which the grand daddy of this form...

As far as differentiations in styling, I have seen far more wonderful variations in the peninsula then I have in Sumatra forms. I'll post a variation of this that later on. But to be perfectly honest wth you, I am really uncertain about the B vs AA stuff thaat you have mentioned and have never been told of this B vs A distinction being based on regional variation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
How does it look on the other side? Could you please show close-ups of the upper third? At the moment this does look more like an unevenly exposed core to me rather than differential hardening of a single edge but this impression may well be wrong.


The otherside is about the same wth only one side darker at the edge then the rest of the blade face. If time permits I'll show the upper 3rd.

I bought this original piece from the Malay Art Gallery some years back.. Adny, the propriertor had told me that he believes that the uneven effect is the result of differential hardening. He recommended that the blade be left as is and not be warangan treated so as to show that distinctiveness of it whch was one the reasons that I was attracted to it. I agreed with it. If you notice the base and abit more elsewhere, there are many fine crystaline features on the blade known as Miang (flecks) a much prized feature in Malay kerisology.

Last edited by BigG : 4th September 2010 at 01:56 PM.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2010, 02:04 PM   #5
BigG
Member
 
BigG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Singapore
Posts: 75
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Suhaimi,
Thanks for sharing and congrats! I love the stylized and well-worn hilt as well as the other gorgeous fittings...
Kai


Great minds do think alike...

I too was attracted by the things that you have mentioned. The gold wash based especially, thats just pure vanilla.. although I am particularly drawn by the aura of strength and formidability of kerises that have prominent "fighting blade" qltys, ths is one of the few pcs that I own whch does not. It is probably meant as status wear for a minor member of the aristocracy or the gentry?

I am not into Ivory & molar fittings... but this one is in my opinion succintly atrractive without it being over the top... just luvly and just an inch well short of being saccharine sweet..
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 12:34 AM   #6
Alam Shah
Member
 
Alam Shah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,248
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG
The rest of the pics...
The hilt have seen extensive repair. Probably have split in two before. The upper portion of the hilt probably have a beak once, but now what is left is rounded.. there is still marking which indicate this.. Based on the single floral pattern on the chest, the motifs of the arm and diamond incision cuts to the base of the hilt-base (buah pinang), I would reckon, this is a Sumatran Indragiri hilt.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.