Ethnographic Arms & Armour
 

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6th June 2015, 06:37 PM   #1
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default Silver Stocked Kubur Pistol

Hello all. Well, another week, another gun posted.
This is one of my favorite Kubur pistols in my collection. At first, I thought this might be a celina or ledenica pistol made for the Montenegrin market. Or Northern Albanian/Greek pistol. But the top of the barrel has the marking of what I recall is the Albanian national bird crest. If so, this may have been built in a Northern Albanian shop. The stock is made of one piece of silver, with a long single silver barrel band. It has the typical Balkan/Albanian style lock with a very faint makers mark. Lock in good working order. And you can see the typical "false ramrod" impersonation.
Any other possible origins for this pistol? Anyway, picture heavy. Hope you enjoy. And thanks for looking.
Rick.
Attached Images
      
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 06:39 PM   #2
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

SOME MORE PICS.....
Attached Images
      
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 06:41 PM   #3
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

STILL MORE........
Attached Images
      
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2015, 06:42 PM   #4
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

LAST ONES...........
Attached Images
  
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,959
Default

Hi Rick,

Difficult to add something, just beautiful, I like this model too.
I have the cousin (the rat-tail) that I''ll try to post today.
For the origins, nothing more to add. Again I rely on Elgood (Greek arms).
For the "Arms of Arabia", be patient like me, sometimes you can find it at a descent price.

For the "faint makers mark" on the lock, if you lock closely you'll see that they are symbols of wind and clouds. You have also this symbolism on some blades (cassaignard). Wind represents powder and I think it's just perfect on a lock that brings light or storm. Mmm probably some members will think that I'm crazy, but I'll post some drawings later...

Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 10:20 AM   #6
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,959
Default

A last point, you have something not common on this kind of gun: a silver protection to avoid been hurt with the movement of the hammer. I saw that many times with the Caucasian pistols but the protection was just a leather piece.
Kubur
Attached Images
 
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 11:39 AM   #7
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 623
Default

RICK THATS ANOTHER MASTERPICE FROM YOUR COLLECTION,AMAZING
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 11:41 AM   #8
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rick,


For the "faint makers mark" on the lock, if you lock closely you'll see that they are symbols of wind and clouds. You have also this symbolism on some blades (cassaignard). Wind represents powder and I think it's just perfect on a lock that brings light or storm. Mmm probably some members will think that I'm crazy, but I'll post some drawings later...

Best,
Kubur


sorry read power not powder!
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 06:52 PM   #9
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rick,

Difficult to add something, just beautiful, I like this model too.
I have the cousin (the rat-tail) that I''ll try to post today.
For the origins, nothing more to add. Again I rely on Elgood (Greek arms).
For the "Arms of Arabia", be patient like me, sometimes you can find it at a descent price.

For the "faint makers mark" on the lock, if you lock closely you'll see that they are symbols of wind and clouds. You have also this symbolism on some blades (cassaignard). Wind represents powder and I think it's just perfect on a lock that brings light or storm. Mmm probably some members will think that I'm crazy, but I'll post some drawings later...

Best,
Kubur

Hi Kubur.
Thanks for your comments. And thanks for the information: Wind and clouds, wind = power, etc. Hmmmm.......interesting. I had no idea.
Since you mentioned Rat Tail, I'll make a future Post of a trio of Albanian brass stocked pistols showing the three different butt stocks/grips usually encountered on these pistols. It will be interesting to view the comparisons.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 06:59 PM   #10
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
A last point, you have something not common on this kind of gun: a silver protection to avoid been hurt with the movement of the hammer. I saw that many times with the Caucasian pistols but the protection was just a leather piece.
Kubur

Hi Kubur.
Interesting observation. Actually, my two Albanian brass stocked pistols, with miquelet locks, both have this feature. Though undecorated and not as pronounced as on this pistol. Which may be more evidence of this pistol having been made in a Northern Albanian shop.
The leather ones on the Caucasian pistols I've seen appear to be made of boiled leather to make it somewhat stiff. But it was probably effective.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2015, 07:27 PM   #11
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
RICK THATS ANOTHER MASTERPICE FROM YOUR COLLECTION,AMAZING

Hi Bandook.
Thanks for the kind comments. You are most generous.
The lock needs a simple cleaning, and some more cleaning inside the barrel. Easy enough. That cleaning patch posted above was the first I ran down the barrel. Notice the black powder residue. Very dirty bore. But bronze brushes, time, and lots of cleaning patches will fix that.

But since these photos were taken the silver stock is now a little darker. This is just normal silver tarnish. But how to go about correctly cleaning the stock? I don't want to lose any patina. But in this case most of what we normally call patina is just tarnish. I have a some Hagerty silver polish in a spray can. But I don't think that's the way to go (?). Especially trying to wipe off in those small creveces on the stock. Hmmm Something that could remove the tarnish, even scrubbing with a soft nylon brush, that would remove the tarnish without leaving a "polished" look. Of course, even a polished look will eventually darken again. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 08:13 AM   #12
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 623
Default

RICK YOU HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB SO FAR,AM NOT GOOD AT RETORATIONS AT ALL,AS AM SCARED TO BREAK OR DESTROY THE PATINA.
THIS PISTOL IS NOT AN EASY ONE AS IT HAS VERY HIGH LEVEL OF DECORATION \ENGRAVINGS .I LIKE SILVER TO GET A LITTLE OXIDISED AND GIVE THE NATURAL LOOK.MUST TELL YOURS IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION FOR ITS AGE.IS THIS EARLY 19TH CENTURY??
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 09:05 AM   #13
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickystl
Hi Kubur.
Interesting observation. Actually, my two Albanian brass stocked pistols, with miquelet locks, both have this feature. Though undecorated and not as pronounced as on this pistol. Which may be more evidence of this pistol having been made in a Northern Albanian shop.
The leather ones on the Caucasian pistols I've seen appear to be made of boiled leather to make it somewhat stiff. But it was probably effective.
Rick.


Forget what I said about the feature, I was reading Elgood this morning and they all have this feature (for the type that you presented). Elgood dates them from 1830ties, I guess it's a rough dating.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 09:16 AM   #14
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,959
Default

Here a Cassaignard blade, they were extremely popular in Morocco for the nimcha. Note the symbols: the moon, the sun, the armed arm in the clouds/wind.
Attached Images
 
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 10:57 PM   #15
BANDOOK
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: AUCKLAND,NEW ZEALAND
Posts: 623
Default

RICK AND KUBUR AM POSTING A PICTURE FROM MY FRIEND MICHAEL COLLECTION IN BELGIUM,PLEASE NOTE THE 2 ALBANIAN MIQUELET PISTOLS AT THE BOTTOM,CHEERS
Attached Images
 
BANDOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 11:03 PM   #16
Kubur
Member
 
Kubur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,959
Default

Rrraaarh I''ll die, so beautifull and very nice display...with two hookah in the corner!
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 12:13 AM   #17
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Here a Cassaignard blade, they were extremely popular in Morocco for the nimcha. Note the symbols: the moon, the sun, the armed arm in the clouds/wind.

Hi Kubur. What a beautiful blade etching!! Just great! And I see what you mean. Thanks, Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2015, 12:20 AM   #18
rickystl
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. Louis, MO area.
Posts: 1,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDOOK
RICK AND KUBUR AM POSTING A PICTURE FROM MY FRIEND MICHAEL COLLECTION IN BELGIUM,PLEASE NOTE THE 2 ALBANIAN MIQUELET PISTOLS AT THE BOTTOM,CHEERS

Hi Bandook.
Oh my What a beautiful collection and display. Makes me feel embarresed how cluttered my dedicated room is.
Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Posts are regarded as being copyrighted by their authors and the act of posting material is deemed to be a granting of an irrevocable nonexclusive license for display here.