Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th June 2014, 03:11 PM   #1
derek

Default Curious Kastane - Thoughts?

Hi guys,
Been a while, glad to see so many familiar names still here.
I rarely pick up new items these days, but this one caught my eye and the price was right.

I've done my homework on blades from Sri Lanka, and while this is definitely a Ceylonese-style kastane, there is something about it that makes me think its someone else's interpretation of a kastane.

We saw that years ago with a European repro of a piha kaetta that was beautifully executed, but obviously not made in Ceylon.

The work on this one just isn't quite the same as the ones that the 4 Workshops (Pattal Hattara) would have produced, but its not a lame attempt either. The metal work reminds me of some finer presentation kukris I've seen.

Thoughts?
Attached Images

derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 04:39 PM   #2
spiral

Hopefully I am wrong but with the strange & flat looking cast side heads,
it looks like a modern Chinese Copy to me.

spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 06:19 PM   #3
derek

Hi Spiral,
It may be hard to tell from the pics, but the scabbard is all hand work, with a good bit of detail, but not quite like the typical patterns in Sinhalese art. Its much more similar (to me) to metal work on presentation kukris.

The metal (handle, quillons, head) is not heavy or rough, not flat either. The head on the pommel is nicely rounded with a lot of polish.

I'm doubting Chinese repro, but repro of some sort is my suspicion. If its Chinese they have seriously upped their game. Right now I'm guessing Indian due to the scabbard, and probably not for a modern tourist market. Maybe several decades (or more) back?
Old 9th June 2014, 07:20 PM   #4
derek

I noticed that the photos give it a brass hue. Its more silver alloy with what may have been a gold wash at some point that has worn off a lot.
The bottom of the scabbard was left silver by design in the smooth area, exactly like an old kukri scabbard I once owned. I wish I could find a pic....
Old 9th June 2014, 07:47 PM   #5
spiral

Hi Derek,

My reference to the heads was more to the lower guard/upper scabbard ones.

I could be wrong & hope I am but for the last 5 years at least many original ethnographic pieces have been bought & shipped into China.

Sadly yes they have upped their game.. just as they have in every other manufacturing industry.

I should say Ive never owned a Kastane, {real or not.} Im just saying how it appears to me.

The work doesn't accurately resemble any presentation kukri I can think of, but the flower design & tendrils does look like some lotus,rhodenron & tendril seen on some kukri... but Id say not truly the same.

Hopefully either way someone knows exactly what this is.

Is the blade distally tapered or same diameter till near the tip?

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2014, 08:48 PM   #6
derek

Very little taper to the blade, but blades from Ceylon can be strange animals.

Yes, you hit on the lotus and tendrils. I had a nice little kukri with a very similar theme on the bottom and it had the lions at the top. Same metals, silver alloy and brass. Gotta find that picture!

The animal on the pommel (lion, dragon, mythical water creature, whatever) is silver alloy with a fading gold wash. Its very polished.

I frequently troll the knives coming from China, especially on Ali express, and I guess I am doubtful they would tackle something so relatively obscure and put so much detail into it. This wouldn't be a mass produced item. There would be no money in it....unless someone tried to pass it off for a few thousand bucks. Hmmm.