Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th May 2005, 11:14 PM   #1
RSWORD

Default Since it is a helmet kind of day, what do you make of this?

Here is a very unusual helmet that I have discussed with some fellow forum members and just haven't gotten around to posting pics on the forum to get some additional feedback. The helmet is of the conical form with raised ribs done in a spiral motif with a spike-like finial on the top. The rim of the helmet has holes for the chain mail that is protective of the back of the neck. A very interesting feature of the helmet is that it is copper. It has developed a blackish patina over the years but is thick enough that it would have been effective has a working helmet. The inside has a wool liner and there is also a leather chin strap. I was discussing it with Jim and I believe he may have nailed it down. However, we cannot find similar items for comparison purposes and I wanted to see if anyone knows of similar examples in musuems or pictured in refererence books. Jim found a reference in Robinsons "Oriental Armour" about Nigerian helmets. I don't have the exact quote with me but it basically said that the Tower of London had acquired a very rare helmet from Nigeria that was made of tinned copper with holes around the rim that held the remnants of an aventail and was of conical shape. Very close description to what I have. An African origin would explain the blacksmith quality of this helmet and the way the liner is tied off on the inside and the chin strap could very well be influences from European helmets of the 19th century. I am hoping our contingent of African collectors may have some insight into armour in Africa and specifically helmets. Look forward to additional thoughts and I want to thank Jim for the excellent reference, to Wolviex(Michel) for looking about his musuem and to Philip for his excellent observations.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 05:39 AM   #2
Conogre

Africa, particularly Ethiopia, of course, is a distinct possibility, and the African reverence for copper would make it even more probable......plate 26, page 35 of Spring's "African Arms and Armor" shows a helm with similar patterns and the very heavy padded coife worn underneath that even has a set of western cutlery (forks and spoons) attached, from Darfur, late 19th century.
While the metal composition isn't specifically listed, I wouldn't be surprised if both were utilized, with the copper made even more battle worthy when added to the padding underneath.
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 03:11 AM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Mike,
Excellent observations as always!!
Thanks for mentioning that very unusual helmet in Spring. It is interesting to note that Darfur was quite connected to regions to the west via the caravan routes, particularly Bornu and of course Nigeria. These same routes were key to the diffusion of considerable weaponry and may well account for the use of the familiar flared tip scabbard of kaskaras on the Manding sabres with guardless hilts.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 10:23 AM   #4
tom hyle

It is your opinion then, that said diffusion of the scabbard type was Westward?
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 05:18 AM   #5
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Tom,
Yes I do believe this particular scabbard feature was inspired by iconographic sources in eastern regions and moved to the west, via these trade routes.
It is often interesting to see diffusion and certain influences carried in almost a round trip movement.
Best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Aqtai

I know very little about African helmets. I am aware that helmets and armour where worn in Sudan until the end of the 19th century, but I was under the impression that these were usually Turkish and Iranian pieces imported decades or centuries before, then passed from father to son as family heirlooms.

This particular helmet partially confirms that for me. Although it is of African manufacture it appears to be modelled upon the Iranian Kulah khud. It shares with the kulah khud the spike, the sliding nasal and the mail camail.

This is going to sound cheeky, but would it be possible pleae to see a photo of the helmet on some kind of stand so we can see the camail and nasal more clearly?
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Conogre

Or perhaps, on a proud owner? **evil grin**
Mike
Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2005, 01:33 AM   #8
RSWORD

Gentleman:

I aim to please. Here is a pic of the helmet on a stand. I must humbly decline Mike's offer to model the helmet due to the fact I could not possibly live up to your modeling standards.
Attached Images

RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 10:14 PM   #9
B.I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conogre
plate 26, page 35 of Spring's "African Arms and Armor" shows a helm with similar patterns and the very heavy padded coife worn underneath that even has a set of western cutlery (forks and spoons) attached, from Darfur, late 19th century.
While the metal composition isn't specifically listed, I wouldn't be surprised if both were utilized, with the copper made even more battle worthy when added to the padding underneath.
Mike
whilst i dont doubt springs knowledge on african armour, he has neglected to mention to true origins of the helmet he showed in his book. the bowl is ottoman, and of the late 15thC. he does, in his defence, mention this happening in his text, but describes this helmet as 19thC. it is of steel (unlike ricks), and the padding and 'cutlery' are added on when adapted (i assume 19thC as he states). it is one of my favourite helmets, just for the ludicrous look and sheer genius decoration. for scant memory (from a previous discussion), i believe the mail is butted and so would denote a local manafacture.
ricks helmet is very interesting, and i believe it dated from the same period as the 'cutlery' additions in the BM helmet.
whist its widely assumed 'heavy armour' denotes an early ages, it was worn in the sudanese wars as late as the first years of the 20thC. africa is outside my sphere, but the pitt rivers museum hold a full set of armour (shirt and helmet) that was taken off a body during these wars. the shirt (from memory) is old (centuries earlier) butthe helmet was of crude, local manafucture but held the antiquated shape, with sliding nasal bar and camail. i do have an image which i will try and find.
Attached Images

B.I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 10:24 PM   #10
Aqtai

The top half of that helmet does look very like a Turkish or Iranian 'Turban helmet'.

I'm sure I have seen a helmet in Royal Armouries in Leeds which was found in Sudan, and was being worn in the 19th century, but was actually a 15th century Mamluk 'shishak'. I'm sure I have a photo of it somewhere.
Aqtai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2005, 10:41 PM   #11
B.I

the royal armouries does indeed have a sudanese armour with an early ottoman helmet, but was trying not to divert this post into turkish arms.
there was also one in the paris exhibition/sale in 1998 (with a 16thC bowl) which was taken at the battle of omdurman on sept 2nd, 1898. the ottoman influence was still heavy into the 19thC, but i know there must be more examples more like ricks helmet in existance (but unfortunatley not in my library).
was spring the only one to cover african armour?
the manafacture was always crude, but of a standard form. i'm not too familiar with complete copper examples, although i have seen copper elements.
B.I is offline   Reply With Quote