Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th December 2005, 12:25 AM   #1
knife7knut

Default An unusual folding knife

Hello All;
I haven't been around much due to some health issues but I'm still actively collecting unusual knives and I offer this one up in the hope I may be able to get some answers about it.
It was purchased on the infamous e-Bay for a very nominal amount.It had been listed at a higher price and had no takers.It was re-listed at a significantly lower price and I wound up with it.
I'm not sure of it's origins but the lettering on the blade(s)appears to be a form of Arabic.As I do not either read,write,or speak that language,I thought I'd turn to the board for help.
The enclosed pictures are shot on a background of 1"(25mm)squares to give a sense of proportion.The side scales of the knife show evidence of either bluing or having been heated to the point of discoloration.They also have some type of random engraving on them(a series of V's connected together).
The blades appear to be:a master blade of the Wharncliffe pattern,a saw(cutting on the pull stroke)a spear point smaller blade,and a can opener.The reverse side contains what looks to be a screwdriver,a buttonhook(or guthook),a blade similar to an old style manicure blade.and a handwrought corkscrew.
There are no backsprings in the knife but rather bladestops for the blade tang to rest against when opened.One of the puzzling aspects of this knife is at first glance it appears to be somewhat crude in appearance and construction.Upon closer examination though,one can see that it is a pretty precision piece of work.
The bladestops are all flush with the side scales when the blades are in either the open or closed position.Two of them are cut straight across and the other two at about a 30 degree angle.When the blades are opened and are resting against the stops,there are NO gaps anywhere.
The blades also appear to be very full and possibly never re-sharpened.The smaller blade has a needle sharp point to it.
If anyone knows what the cyphers on the blade mean or possibly it's origin I would appreciate any information.Thank you in advance.
Ray Smith aka knife7knut
Attached Images

knife7knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 05:51 AM   #2
drdavid

Hi Ray
I am completely ignorant on knives of this type but those blade markings include what looks like dept of defence 'broad arrows' to me, if so this would be British or Commonwealth military issue.
cheers
David
drdavid is offline   Reply With Quote