Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th February 2012, 02:35 AM   #1
Stan S.

Default Not a kukri...

Please take a look at this "chopper" I just received in the mail after winning it via eBay auction. Despite what it at first appears to be, it is not a kukri. Thsi si why when I saw it listed for a pathetically low price, I knew I had to have it! You will notice the lack of a typical notch, plus the hilt is all wrong - It is actually carved out of a single piece of wood and secured to a flat tang with 3 rivets exposing the tang on top and bottom. Also, the blade has a more pronounced "belly" than commonly encountered with kukris and features a false edge. Series of svastikas stamped into the blade identify this as a hindu weapon. There is also a small and faint "eye" closer to the tip, which reminds me of a decoration found on ram daos. Only one side of the blade is decorated. The weapon is massive and quite heavy, and comes with a later scabbard. When I saw pictures of the scabbard, I thought it was for sure home made by a previous owner. Upon receiving the item however, I am not so certain. It is made of an incredibly thick leather (thicker than what is found on heavy duty belts) and stitched using a heavy cord rather than a thread. The scabbard covers the knife to mid-grip, like a pech kabz scabbard would. However, it is lacking a wooden shell and has a belt loop on the back, which still has me thinking that it is quite new...

I need some help identifying the origins of this item. My guess would be Nepal, or either Coorg or Malabar. But if it is Nepalese, shy would its maker deviate from a traditional kukri form? After all, it is ALMOST a kukri
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote