Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st March 2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Laowang

Default Keris Terengganu

Greetings, all. I've lurked around the forum for a few years now, ever since I ran across it during a Google search. I thought maybe I would finally contribute, for a change.

By way of introduction, my own Keris Terengganu, the probable sibling of David's and Kai Wee's. 14 1/2" overall, with a 10 1/2" sepakol blade. Blade has the typical Bugis cross-section. These are not particularly good photographs, but you can see the pamor is identical to David's, if currently less visible (I have yet to clean and oil the blade).

A slender and delicate blade, particularly when compared to my larger Bugis keris. Would it be considered a patrem? It seems a little small for a grown man, although perhaps it is at the upper end of the length range for a patrem.
Attached Images

Last edited by Laowang; 21st March 2010 at 07:16 PM. Reason: (Images reformatted for better viewing)
Laowang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 06:36 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Greetings Laowang, welcome to the forum. I like your keris and do see th similarities.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 05:43 AM   #3
PenangsangII

greetings.....

In a patriachal system such as Trengganu, I doubt this is a patrem... keris for a boy is the strongest possibility....
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 02:01 PM   #4
BluErf

I have two small terengganu kerises. They function as dress kerises, so that you don't have a huge batang sticking out of your kain samping, especially when you sit down. Ok fellow Malay forumnites and Malay speakers don't get the wrong idea ok...
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 02:02 PM   #5
BluErf

To Laowang - you need to change the mendak into a proper pendoko.
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 04:15 AM   #6
Laowang

Thanks for the explanation, Kai Wee. Makes sense. Although, in my part of the world, one might choose to bring the larger keris, so that everyone knows you have a huge, ahem, 'batang'.

Yes, the mendak is finely made but inappropriate. I've been meaning to e-mail Adni for a replacement. Any suggestions about other sources for a proper pendoko would be welcome.

Does anyone know the name of this pamor?

By the way, my given name is Keoni, if you prefer to address me by it. Since I know many of yours after a few years of reading posts on this forum...
Laowang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 03:32 PM   #7
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
I have two small terengganu kerises. They function as dress kerises, so that you don't have a huge batang sticking out of your kain samping, especially when you sit down. Ok fellow Malay forumnites and Malay speakers don't get the wrong idea ok...
By the way, Kai Wee, would you please enlighten me -- what is the significant difference between "terengganu keris" and "bugis keris"? I apologize for being too confused -- especially when you mention that the first picture is a terengganu keris...

GANJAWULUNG
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2010, 06:10 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
By the way, Kai Wee, would you please enlighten me -- what is the significant difference between "terengganu keris" and "bugis keris"? I apologize for being too confused -- especially when you mention that the first picture is a terengganu keris...
As i understand it Ganja, Bugis keris are found in many parts of the Indonesian archipelago as the seafaring Bugis tended to move around alot. But in the various places that they settled their keris can be seen to take on specific characteristics for that specific place. A Terengganu keris can therefore be a Bugis keris in style if it were made by and for Bugis people living in that area. But certainly not all Bugis keris are Teregganu. I think you might find greater differences in the dress than the actual blades, though forging materials may well vary from place to place.
Kai Wee could certainly point out the subtle differences in the various Bugis forms than i ever could.
David is offline   Reply With Quote