Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th June 2021, 04:25 PM   #1
pbleed

Default Please help witha European blade in a Japanese tachi mount

I once again write to this community for help with the identification of an object I am researching for potential publication. I have asked for help in the past and always valued the help I have received. I hope that this is a fair exploitation of this wonderful community!
My question this time concerns a “Japanese Tachi” that seems certainly to have been made of a European blade with a modified, but fitting, iron scabbard. I am asking for help in trying to assess the origin and age of the blade. I would date the Japanese modification to to the “early” 19th century, but that is a guess.
Both the blade and the scabbard have been shortened from the tip end. The surviving length of the blade is 71.5cm. The scabbard – with 2 suspension rings - is 73cm long but the tip has been reworked and there is no drag. In addition to the shortening, the blade looks to me like it was given a decorative Japanese polish – what is called a “kesho polish” - that makes it look like the blade had a tempered edge, or ‘hamon.’ The surviving ricasso is 3.7 cm wide. It shows a squared broad fuller that runs the entire length of the blade.
My naïve guess is that this blade came from something like a very early 19th century German or British saber. My question to this forum is whether or not this guess is reasonable and might even be made more specific.
Thank you for your help!
Peter Bleed
Attached Images

pbleed is offline   Reply With Quote