Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th October 2008, 02:54 AM   #1
apolaki

Default Did the Champa Kingdom have keris?

I would like to know if the Champa kingdom that once flourished in present day central Vietnam had a keris culture like malaysia and indonesia? if so, can you post some pictures and historical information? or weapons of Champa in general would be very insightful.
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 04:23 AM   #2
PenangsangII

my own hypothesis is that Champa originally did not have keris culture, but the influence of the Javanese in the 14th C (by marriage & commerce) would have left an impact on keris culture there. The continuation of Champa called Langkasuka then Pattani has it's own distinct keris culture (Javanese influence with local flavor )
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 04:49 AM   #3
apolaki

i never heard of langkasuka being the continuation of champa.. are you refering to when the vietnamese took over their land? did they fee somewhere that is known as langkasuka??
apolaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 10:29 AM   #4
Newsteel

Champa kingdom have been very much alive and important in the history back dated as early as 9-10th century. And about 17th century, the princes of Champa married the king of Majapahit (after Islam).

Here I'm not surprise if Champa have their own keris. But the question is - are their keris adapted from Majapahit or they have their own empus to forge it? Also, there are alot of Majapahit people whom migrated up to Northern Malaya until Champa to settle down...
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2008, 02:40 PM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsteel
And about 17th century, the princes of Champa married the king of Majapahit (after Islam).
I am a little confused by this statement since the Majapahit kingdom was almost 2 centuries past in the 17th century, so how could there be a king of Majapahit at that point?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 01:36 AM   #6
Newsteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I am a little confused by this statement since the Majapahit kingdom was almost 2 centuries past in the 17th century, so how could there be a king of Majapahit at that point?

I apologised for having some mistake here. It is not 17th century, but 15th century. The princes of Champa married to the last king of Majapahit, and converted him to Islam. That was the last Majapahit kingdom. This princess were also further connected to the 'Wali Songo' or the Nine Saints of Islam (Indonesia) spreading new religion Islam throughout Java.

Those days, the Cham have a lot of dealings with the Majapahit and the Malays (Kelantan and Malacca). Involving a lot of battles too, they soon fell and were force to flee to southern part of the peninsular and other parts of Indonesia. And during this, the keris also fell.

A good reading : http://kyotoreview.cseas.kyoto-u.ac....ticle_353.html
Newsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:05 AM   #7
PenangsangII

even one of Raden Wijaya's wives was from Champa, and the 2nd Majapahit king, Jayanegara had mixed javanese-champa blood - early 14th C
PenangsangII is offline   Reply With Quote