Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd April 2007, 01:04 AM   #1
Steven C.

Default May not be hundreds of years old, but I'd say an ethnographic arm nonetheless!

Hi guys, I plan on now attempting to get more seriously into collecting ethnographic weaponry and while at the Suncoast Gun Show, one of the largest in the country (located in Florida) I got this beauty. I really do find it quite ruggedly beautiful. No it's not really old, but it is a weapon, a bladed weapon at that, and I'd say it's ethnographic! So I figured I'd share!

This weapon, is an East-German, Kalashnikov style bayonet.

The handle you see, is made of bakelite, a very hard and durable synthetic, and the only synthetic material I accept on weapons. Because I despise polymer I'll tell you that much. Bakelite however I find oddly attractive, has a charm too it.

Dropped 40 bucks for it, it turns out these are pretty rare.

I'd say not a bad start to collecting bladed weaponry, and goes hand in hand with my gun collection so I like it rather much.
Steven C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 03:53 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Steve

No offense but a fairly modern mass produced AK-47 bayonnet is not ethnograghic. Please read :

Lew

Welcome to the Ethnographic Arms and Armour Forum, an on-line community of collectors, researchers and enthusiasts of what can be termed "ethnographic" weapons and armor. What is "ethnographic," you might ask? We define the term, for the purposes of this site, as a weapon other than the standardized military models of the past few centuries and is likely a product of an individual artisan working according to traditional patterns as opposed to a product of modern mass industrial production. Militaria is thereby excluded by definition. Modern custom knives would qualify as an artifact of our own "culture", but will not be considered here, as they are better represented elsewhere.

Be sure to read the thread on Forum rules, policies and guidelines before posting.

Again, welcome, and we hope you will enjoy participating in the discussions.

The Vikingsword Staff
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Steven,
Nice find, and you are right, these dont come around much.
Lew is right, these military bayonets are about as far from ethnographic as can be though! Interestingly, when they DO become ethnographic is when the blades end up remounted in local tribal hilt forms, which did occur often in highly colonized regions and countries.

When I first started collecting (zillions of years ago! my first conquests were old bayonets which sat in barrels in army surplus stores, and my allowance was quickly spent on these extravagant weapons (about 50 cents each!). You are right in adding these to embellish your gun collecting, as they carry important perspective often overlooked by most gun collectors.

Thank you for posting, and I hope you'll stay with us as many of the discussions carry important detail that often applies to the history of guns as well ( conversely I have often found important facts key to the study of edged weapons in books on firearms!)

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote