Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 13th July 2022, 04:19 PM   #1
cel7

Default Another riddle

At an auction I won a rifle that turned out to be the worst buy of the year (should I make even worse purchases this year, I'll take these words back). Because of the distance, I took the gamble and didn't go to the auction house to see it in person. It was stated on the website that the stock was broken, that it was falling apart into several pieces when I tried to disassemble it, I did not expect . A wise lesson learned: when in doubt, just go and see for yourself or don't buy.

I bought it because I suspected it was a military rifle (due to the presence of a bayonet catch and because it has few decorations). At the moment I'm not quite sure what it is or rather "was". It looks like a kind of "jägerbuchse" with a heavy octagonal barrel with 7 spiral grooves (Minië system?)
The gun is unmarked at first glance, except for a number on the chamber and a unknown stamp op the stock. Take it apart and find the same mark or perhaps proofmark on the underside of the barrel, the stock, trigger guard, and on the inside of the lock, in the form of an upward arrow and a 5. Unfortunately, I have no clue about origin of this gun. Anyone have an idea?
Attached Images

cel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2022, 11:44 AM   #2
Raf

Austrian Lorenz rifle Model 1854 /11 ?
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2022, 03:55 PM   #3
corrado26

This is no ordnance rifle of the Austrian army. The differences are too much, see the fotos of the original 1854 rifle. I think it is a rifle ordered on a private base for use in a shooting association (Schützenverein).
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2022, 10:54 PM   #4
cel7

Thanks for your explanation!
Old 5th August 2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Bayowolf

Default Austrian rifle

I agree that a shooting association is likely. But it is based on the M1842 Jager rifle, rather than the Lorenz. Note the Laukart style of spring catch for the sword/socket bayonet that was only used for a short time in the late 30s through early 40s.
Bayowolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2022, 10:15 AM   #6
cel7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayowolf View Post
I agree that a shooting association is likely. But it is based on the M1842 Jager rifle, rather than the Lorenz. Note the Laukart style of spring catch for the sword/socket bayonet that was only used for a short time in the late 30s through early 40s.
Thanks for the info! I had never heard of the laukart spring catch before so happy with this new info!