Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th July 2022, 05:50 PM   #1
Marcus den toom

Default Information regarding catalogue 13 May 1993 Ader Tajan

Recently i bought this powder flask which is reference by Michael here as beeing from the Jean Robert Charles collection lot 110 which was sold in 1993. The catalogue were this flask is published was that of the 13th of May 1993 for the Armes et souvenirs historiques by auctioneer Ader Tajan.
Pictures attached of the flask and catalogue i found online (since sold).

Is there anyone that has this catalogue? I would very much like to keep a print of the reference to the provenance of this flask.
Attached Images

Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2022, 05:55 PM   #2
Marcus den toom

Qouting Michael:
"So the author restrained to choose a Nuremberg made powder flask, ca. 1550-60, of circular shape retaining its original leather pouch, and preserved in heavily patinated original condition throughout; it was lot #110 in the first Charles sale of 13 May 1993.
This was the only specimen of that type ever to appear on the market since the Kuppelmayr sale, 26 to 28 March 1895 (!), lot #576, pl. 29.

That unusual type of Nuremberg manufactured flasks is recorded to have only been ordered, and made for, the Styrian arsenal at Graz, which still holds many specimens. In the second half of the 19th c. when the great central museums were founded, the Vienna arsenal and the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum München each were given one sample of that type of flasks from the Graz arsenal, and the Kuppelmayr catalog description records the Graz provenance for that flask."
Old 29th July 2022, 01:21 PM   #3
Marcus den toom

Default Lot 110 catalogue page

Attached image of the auction catalogue, copyrighted by Tajan Auctioneers and Bibliothèque de l'Institut national d'histoire de l'art
Attached Images

Old 30th July 2022, 08:17 AM   #4
corrado26

Some years ago I also had such a powder flask made in Nürnberg for the Graz Landeszeughaus in my collection.
Attached Images

corrado26 is offline   Reply With Quote