Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 26th September 2018, 01:34 AM   #1
M ELEY

Default Two hangers/short swords

Here's a couple of oldies from my collection that I've never posted. The first is a French brass hanger, ca. 1740-50 based on hilt grip style. The seond is a Dutch hanger, ca. 1730-50 with old style knuckle bow, nicely engraved. Hunting swords/hangers were very popular not only with the gentry, but with infantry officers and naval officers. The tight confines of a cluttered ship's deck allowed for little room for swinging large broadswords.
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 26th September 2018 at 08:18 PM.
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2018, 01:44 AM   #2
M ELEY

Default The French hanger

This nice brass hilted piece (brass also being a favorite among naval officers, as it didn't rust with salty air) has a 'nautical' motiff of sea shells, waves/water, sea weed, etc. Per Annis in 'Swords for Sea Service', he notes that many naval swords had such decoratios when made for naval usage. I understand this isn't proven provenance, but a definite tip of the hat as a possibility. The double fullered spear point double edged blade is still very sharp and has scattered pitting (evidence of salt water corrosion perhaps?)

The most fascinating thing about this hanger is the ring guard. Ring guards seem to have fallen out of favor in the previous century, so is this just for artistic purposes? A bow to honor an earlier and popular form? Someone suggested this might have been a combination weapon, originally possessing a small flintlock pistol barrel mounted through the ring. The problem is, the hole is quite narrow. I tried passing my Queen Ann-style pocket pistol barrel through the space with no success. Your opinions? In any case, a nice hanger I'm happy to own!
Attached Images

Last edited by M ELEY; 26th September 2018 at 08:19 PM.
Old 26th September 2018, 01:51 AM   #3
M ELEY

Default The Dutch hanger script

I picked up the Dutch hanger outside of Colonial Williamsburg. The seller listed it as a 'Civil War sword' ( ). It no longer has it's shell guard (a shame) and the hilt wrap is gone. I suspect the hilt ferral is gold, but I haven't had it tested. Note the flowing leaf decoration in the above pic. The sword is inscribed on both sides and Jasper/Cornelisstompe was most helpful in translating it (see below)

Side 1- tussen De osjes sluys En Olie slagers Steeg tot Amsterdam
Side 2-Gerret Burghorst Mr Swaardveger in der Kalver Straat

The maker is Gerrit Burghorst.

He made ​​several swords in the period 1740-1760 (maybe later)and had his studio in amstersdam. 18thc Dutch quality weapons were signed with the sword maker and address of the workshop. There is a hunting hanger ex visser collection with "gerhardt Burg Horst in de warmoes straat tot Amsterdam. (address) but this may also have been his father.
Gerrit burghorst had his workshop at the Kalverstraat and signed;
Gerrit Burghorst mr zwaardveger in de kalverstraat tot (or a) Amsterdam.
In the 18th century the houses had no numbers so the position between lanes or known points were indicated.

your hanger is very interesting because it indicates the exact location/address of the workshop at the kalverstaat;between the osjes sluys and olieslagers steeg(tussen de osjes sluys en olie slagers steeg
best,
jasper
Attached Images

Old 27th September 2018, 09:38 AM   #4
M ELEY

Regarding the Dutch maker, he has a sword in the Victoria and Albert Museum, I believe.

So no one has a theory on the ring guard on the French hanger?
Old 28th January 2019, 09:32 PM   #5
alex8765

I have the hunting dagger with very similar handle design, but I was under impression that it’s German. So, this one if French too?
Attached Images

alex8765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2019, 08:38 AM   #6
M ELEY

Hello Alex. Sorry for the late reply!! I must have missed your posting. I am still under the belief that yours is also a 'French style'. Neumann has several pictured in 'Swords and Blades of the American Revolution'. I'm away from my books, but I remember one with the exact (or nearly exact) eagle (?) cross guard on one of those listed.