Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 19th March 2021, 04:27 PM   #1
Panoleon

Default Dragoon helmet?

I hope someone can help me with the determination of this helmet.
It has got the look and feel of a dragoon or paradehelmet. The shield on the front is Danish, but I think that this is a younger addition. It looks like a shield from a Danish helmet from WW2. I've searched in the collections of the Danish war museum, but I could not find this helmet. The Danes had a dragoonhelmet with a lion, but it doesn't look like this helmet.

I suspect that one paw was on top of a shield (note the hole in the helmet beneath the paw). There is a hole in the lion head. Probably for the addition of a crownn or plume.
Attached Images

Last edited by Panoleon; 19th March 2021 at 06:03 PM.
Panoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2021, 05:15 PM   #2
Panoleon

Addition. I also think that de helmet itself is made of silver. It has got a verry typical black oxidation. Alpaca (or Berlin silver) does not oxidate.
Old 19th March 2021, 05:43 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Panoleon, you would be aware that such type of modern items is not within this European forum scope. Let us move this thread to the miscellania forum.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2021, 10:02 AM   #4
Victrix

Yes it’s the Danish coat of arms with the three crowned lions passant facing forward surrounded by water lilies leaves.

I saw a similar helmet for a general of the Danish cavalry of the King’s staff worn by King Fredrik VII of Denmark.
Attached Images

Victrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2021, 10:43 AM   #5
fernando

Victrix, would you say Panoleon's example ia a genuine 19th century helmet and not a get together setup ?
Old 20th March 2021, 01:12 PM   #6
Victrix

It looks like some half completed/disassembled example? The number of holes back and front is striking. Why would anyone go through the trouble to create an unauthentic version of this helmet?
Old 20th March 2021, 06:36 PM   #7
fernando

We never know how and why such enigmatic setups are put up.
The other day Panoleon has posted ANOTHER ITEM that also challenged everyone's insight .
Old 21st March 2021, 08:24 AM   #8
Victrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
We never know how and why such enigmatic setups are put up.
The other day Panoleon has posted ANOTHER ITEM that also challenged everyone's insight .
That is even more of an oddity!
Old 22nd March 2021, 11:24 AM   #9
Panoleon

All the holes in the helmet are for de decorative strips on the side of the helmet. Plain straight (gilded) strips and strips with flowers and leaves. On one side (see picture 5) these strips are still attached. The front plate (with the Danish crest) doesn't belong to the helmet. The holes on the front suggest that there once was another front plate on the helmet.
I don't think this is a a later assembled piece. The lion sits nicely on to the helmet ans follows the curves.
Old 22nd March 2021, 12:44 PM   #10
fernando

Panoleon, perhaps the best idea is to contact the person who sold you this item in order that you are given further details about this odd setup.
Definitely not Danish. The only parade helmet, as shown by Victrix, belonged to Frederick VII and was made of light weight aliminium in 1859. The first Danish army helmets appeared in 1923 and were a completely different thing.
On the other hand, browsing the Net, one is able to see a number of helmets with the lion on top, from various countries, namely Germany. Maybe if you keep looking, you find out some trace of how your composite was built.

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 22nd March 2021 at 12:59 PM.