Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th November 2009, 04:25 AM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default Another Bolo

Just picked this up on ebay. Will post better pictures when it arrives. Total length is 22-1/2 inches. These pictures are from the auction. I believe it to be from the first quarter of the 20th century.

Robert
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 03:13 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Rob

Nice find. I like the hilt on this one it has a touch of elagance to it.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Robert
EAAF Staff

Hi Lew,
Thank you for your kind response to this post. This like most of the pieces that I have in my collection it shows a large amount of Spanish influence in its design. These octagonal wooden grips with brass fitting are a real favorite of mine. I have a few others with grips similar to this one but none have the flared end. I'm hoping that this is possibly a late 19Th century piece but really need to have it in hand to make a better determination of its age. I have two other knives in my collection with this style of blade and wooden grips. One is about the same size as this one with a dog's head grip and a tang that goes through the hilt like this one.The other is quit a bit smaller with a phallic shaped grip (not sure if the grip shape was intentional or just turned out that way) with a tang that does not extend all the way through the grip. I believe that all three are from Luzon. Any comments or information on these items would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Last edited by Robert Coleman; 24th November 2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 24th November 2009, 07:19 PM   #4
Dimasalang

Very nice. You can see the craftsmenship in the hilt, nothing like the commercial bolos that flooded the market from WWII on. Even the corrosion on the blade looks good on the piece.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 01:39 AM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

This is for sure a Luzon bolo. If I find the right name for this I'll let you know.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 09:26 AM   #6
carlos

Default Congratulations

Very good adquisition!! I have one very very similar yours, but mine is with sheath.
I thought bid to this bolo but finally I don,t bid.
Very good price too.
best regards
carlos
Attached Images

carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

I think this style of bolo is known as a Bonifacio style.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 06:25 PM   #8
Dimasalang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
I think this style of bolo is known as a Bonifacio style.
Yes, it is most popularly known as a Bonifacio Bolo, named after Andres Bonifacio who led the 1896 Revolution in the Philippines. He is 3rd in line after Rizal and Lapu Lapu in regards to Philippine national heros. There is only one real photograph of Bonifacio, so drawing, paintings and murals were always used to reference him. These paintings always depict him welding this style bolo, as it was very famous during the revolution. Every statue of Bonifacio around the Philippines will have him holding this type of bolo. Because of these paintings and statues, his name became attached with that style bolo...but in reality he carried a revolver most of the time.

One of the more famous paintings of Bonifacio done by Carlos V Francisco.
Dimasalang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2009, 09:06 PM   #9
Robert
EAAF Staff

I would like to thank everyone I have not thanked yet who have contributed to this thread and to the identification of this bolo.
Carlos, I would like to thank you for your kind words and also thank you for posting your wonderful example of another bolo of this style and especially for not bidding on this one as I really wanted to add it to my collection.
Jose, I am always very happy to see you answer my postings and for all the help you have offered to me in the past and especially this time by giving me the correct name for this style of bolo.
Dimasalang, I would also like to thank you for your help confirming the name of this bolo, your kind words and the wonderful picture of Andres Bonifacio. Again my thanks to all who have replied.
One last question, what time frame would you all think this would be from, the Revolutionary period or post Revolution ?

Robert