Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th June 2020, 11:37 PM   #1
kwiatek

This is not a very idiomatic translation, but the verses from al-Burda roughly say:

“God’s protection has no need of reinforced armour or high fortresses.

Whenever time tried to harm me and I sought refuge in Him, I received shelter from Him that could not be harmed.”
kwiatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 01:19 PM   #2
Edster

Beautiful blade in the Khor or Channel style fuller. The 1787 date is intriguing and perhaps related to the Funj Kingdom. The crossguard appears to be of the Sennar style said to originate in the city of Sennar, the capital of the Funj. The blade likely is European although that type of fuller was made in Ethiopia. Check around the top of the blade under the lower langet of the crossguard for any blade maker's marks. You may have a very special sword. Not many are documented from such an early date.

Best regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2020, 03:20 PM   #3
RSWORD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edster
Beautiful blade in the Khor or Channel style fuller. The 1787 date is intriguing and perhaps related to the Funj Kingdom. The crossguard appears to be of the Sennar style said to originate in the city of Sennar, the capital of the Funj. The blade likely is European although that type of fuller was made in Ethiopia. Check around the top of the blade under the lower langet of the crossguard for any blade maker's marks. You may have a very special sword. Not many are documented from such an early date.

Best regards,
Ed
Thank you for the information Ed. I had a look beneath the langet and there are no makers marks. The blade is very nice quality and could be an European import. I agree this is a nice early date for a Kaskara and I am very happy to have it in my collection.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote