Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th March 2007, 06:41 PM   #1
katana

Default Mandau, blade too good for tourist ?

Recently acquired this Mandau, according to the seller he had this for 30 years and his father several decades before.
Evidence of wear caused by use on the handle and sheath. Smaller knife missing although there is provision for one on the back of the sheath. The blade is forged, sharp and definately useable (cuts wood with ease). Has SAR stamped near hilt Blade is distally tapered 6mm at hilt to 2mm at tip. Nicely balanced and ...to my mind a functional piece.

The sheath is wooden which seems to be covered in a thin veneer (wood).. either that, or the hardened paint layer has slightly 'come away' from the wood below. Rattan bindings hold the two halves of the scabbard together. There is a thin sheath attached to the back, which seems to be made from a 'woody', leaf type material which would have originally carried the 'small knife'.

OAL 22" Blade 15" long widest point 1 1/4 "
So please can anyone tell me whether this is a good example of an 'everyday' functional piece ? Any ideas as to its origin?

All comments gratefully received....thankyou
Attached Images

Last edited by katana; 17th March 2007 at 07:22 PM.
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 08:53 PM   #2
kai

I'm no expert on Mandaus but the features on the blade look like they've been done with modern tools...
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Dajak

This is an example off an newer functional piece for every day use looks like it s made after 1970

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2007, 10:14 PM   #4
katana

Thankyou both, Kai and Dajak for your replies
I got this very cheaply and am pleased that this is not just 'tourist' quality. My first SEA blade......hopefully I will be able to add quality SEA weapons as my collection grows

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote