Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 29th December 2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Ferguson

Default Assam Regiment Dao (dha,dah) ?

Found this neat little knife on Ebay for less than $20 so I figured that I couldn't go wrong. It is fairly new and unused, and seems native made. As shown in the pictures the butt cap is brass and made like those found on Kukhuris. It is 16" long, and the spine is about 3/16" (4.71mm) thick. The guard and ferrule are aluminum. The scabbard is factory made, unmarked and resembles those made for British machetes. Searching the web, I found this post which points to the origin.
English Made Kachin Dha
I looks just like plate #481 (EDITED) in Flooks book. I'm wondering if it is a tourist piece, or something made for the Assam Regiment of the Indian Army? Your opinions are welcomed.
Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images

Last edited by Ferguson; 29th December 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 01:50 PM   #2
drac2k

I'm not sure if it is for military use as there aren't any proof marks on it, however, I don't think it is a tourist item either as it appears to be a well made, sturdy item totally devoid of bling.Is the scabbard leather or plastic?
drac2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 03:46 PM   #3
Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac2k
I'm not sure if it is for military use as there aren't any proof marks on it, however, I don't think it is a tourist item either as it appears to be a well made, sturdy item totally devoid of bling.Is the scabbard leather or plastic?
Thanks. The scabbard is leather.

Steve
Old 29th December 2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Ferguson:

I believe, as you say, this is a Mk III presentation Indian Machete, as shown in the Flook reference. It is unlikely to be of Afghan origin. These machete were made largely (if not exclusively) in India. The absence of military markings on the blade or leather sheath is not uncommon.

Good find!

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2017, 06:33 PM   #5
Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Ferguson:

I believe, as you say, this is a Mk III presentation Indian Machete, as shown in the Flook reference. It is unlikely to be of Afghan origin. These machete were made largely (if not exclusively) in India. The absence of military markings on the blade or leather sheath is not uncommon.

Good find!

Ian.
Thank you Ian!

I edited my initial post with the correct plate number in Ron Flook's book "British and Commonwealth Military Knives"