Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 11th April 2018, 01:48 PM   #31
A. G. Maisey

The forging that the keris is carved from is only approximate to the finished keris, so yes, if I say "carving" I'm talking about all the metal that needs to be removed to produce a finished keris. Modern makers use modern tools, various types of electric grinders and so on, but the traditional tools are files and scrapers.The electric tools speed up production, which means that keris can be produced at a price that people can afford to pay. These same modern makers could as easily use the old traditional tools, but the time used would rise a lot, which means the price would rise a lot, and buyers are generally not willing to pay for weeks of work as opposed to days of work.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2018, 12:15 PM   #32
jagabuwana

I see, yes that makes sense. When you made your first keris, what dhapur did you choose and why? Is there a particular dhapur that is commonly attempted or made first by a maker, according to tradition?
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 01:05 AM   #33
A. G. Maisey

The first keris I made was a patrem in Dhapur Brojol, Pamor Wos Wutah. It was crude. It was not a matter of choice, it was a matter of making all I was capable of making at that time.

The second keris I made was made under the supervision of Empu Suparman Supowijoyo, it was a full size Surakarta keris, Sinom Robyong, pamor wos wutah. This dhapur was chosen for me by Empu Suparman because it covers all of the most difficult ricikan:- if you can make Sinom Robyong, you can make anything.

I know of no traditions governing what dhapur should be made first by a beginning maker.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2018, 12:19 PM   #34
jagabuwana

Thanks Alan. In my research thus far, dhapur brojol seems like the appropriate (if not only) dhapur for me to attempt as it appears "modest" in comparison to others, and seems to have the least amount of carving involved. I think my first attempt will surely be crude as yours was, maybe even more so given my lack of skill. But I'll be happy to have a finished product regardless.
jagabuwana is offline   Reply With Quote