Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th May 2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Sajen

Default African axe identification

Hello,

have bought recently this african axe by ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AFRICAN-AXE-...vip=true&rt=nc

Would be glad when someone will be able to tell me the exact origin and a possible age of this axe. The pictures are from the seller, will post better ones when I have received it.

Thank you very much in advance,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
DaveA

Default Maybe...

Hello,

I'm far from am expert but I will offer the following since I recently happened to be poking about in topics related to African weapons.

The decoration resembles that on a knife in my collection from the Tabwa (also called Batabwa, Taabwa,Rungu ) tribe. The Tabwa people live in small autonomous villages scattered within a territory that extends from the southeast of the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the northeast of Zambia, along Lake Tanganyika.

The Tabwa are well known for their carving. Their western neighbors, the Luba, influenced the incorporation of prestige objects into Tabwa life. The face represents ancestor worship. Among Tawba, the village chief or sorcerer alone were allowed to possess prestige items of ancestor worship. Eastern Tanzanian neighbors influenced the Tabwa with geometric designs. These two influences may account for the presence of both ancestor and geometric features in my knife and your axe.

Beautiful item!

Best Regards,

Dave A
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 10:41 PM   #3
DaveA

Default More on Tabwa..

Consistent with attribution to the Tabwa: The triangle is the most important icon for the Tabwa. It represents the new Moon and symbolizes rebirth and the continuity of life. The open section of the blade is triangular and I am curious to learn if there are other triangles among the decoration.
DaveA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2013, 10:31 AM   #4
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA
Hello,

I'm far from am expert but I will offer the following since I recently happened to be poking about in topics related to African weapons.

The decoration resembles that on a knife in my collection from the Tabwa (also called Batabwa, Taabwa,Rungu ) tribe. The Tabwa people live in small autonomous villages scattered within a territory that extends from the southeast of the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the northeast of Zambia, along Lake Tanganyika.

The Tabwa are well known for their carving. Their western neighbors, the Luba, influenced the incorporation of prestige objects into Tabwa life. The face represents ancestor worship. Among Tawba, the village chief or sorcerer alone were allowed to possess prestige items of ancestor worship. Eastern Tanzanian neighbors influenced the Tabwa with geometric designs. These two influences may account for the presence of both ancestor and geometric features in my knife and your axe.

Beautiful item!

Best Regards,

Dave A
Thank you very much Dave! The only similar I have found in the net was a Hemba axe, see the pictures.

Regards,

Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote