Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th July 2007, 08:27 AM   #1
ALEX

Default Discoloration and Loss of a Wootz Pattern

I have several wootz blades which exhibit some discoloration/random white spots. Some of these spots are of circular shape, which suggests the "damage" could have been caused by a high speed polishing machine. Another suggestion is that they occurred naturally during forging. And yet another suggestion is that the blades were exposed to fire after forging. All these can cause reduction of the wootz pattern. I suspect is has been polished on the machine, which is known to cause loss and distortion of pattern.
Any other opinions, and have you seen similar distortions on other wootz blades?
Attached Images

Last edited by ALEX; 5th July 2007 at 12:20 PM.
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 08:40 PM   #2
Flavio

Hi Alex, I have a tulwar that shows a similar sign on the blade, but no wootz and it was clearer after a light etching
Attached Images

Flavio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Here is an example of a light area in wootz.
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 01:30 AM   #4
RSWORD

I think there are a couple of things that can cause "white spots" in wootz. I think the primary reason is a lack of heat control either during forging or heat treatment of an edge or tip. The other I have noticed can be induced from scabbard wear. A poorly fitted scabbard or one that has shrunk over time can certainly rub on singular spots on the blade and rub away the polish. However, in this case, you can usually still see the pattern beneath the rub spot if angled properly in the light. Certainly any grinders or other equipment used on a wootz blade can overheat the blade and disrupt the pattern as well.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 01:49 AM   #5
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

I think you're on the right track with this train of thought, Rick .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 12:34 PM   #6
Gt Obach

also..
- could be a difference in metal ... martensite will etch dark.. and pearlite is much lighter... ... some times an air jacket will insulate the blade in spots, when you quench it..

- blade wasn't properly degreased before etch... and it protected the blade abit from the acid...... ( smudged finger prints or oils etc )

- a light layer of decarb... left over from forge process.... it will etch very lite and show next to no pattern... or non at all

- burnishing... restoring a blade an using high grit sand paper.... that becomes loded up with steel filings.... this will basically be using steel on steel and burnishing... this does reduce the pattern.... and can be localized...

-sometimes an exta dunk in the etch tank will get rid of this ... as it maybe just some water on the blade that momentarily delays the etch...

looks simple...but lots of things can cause this...

G
Gt Obach is offline   Reply With Quote