Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16th January 2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Enmetena

Default 17th cent polish infantry questions

Hello

I have a question about equipment of Polish infantry man painted on so called "tablica Gołuchowska" (tablet from Gołuchów castle). It was made around 1620 and it shows polish costumes of different people. You can find it at wikipedia.
My question is about equipment of a polish infantry man. Here is a picture:

I know what kind of ax he has (there were similar ones found at Berestechko), but I'm wondering about his shooting equipment. I guess that black pouch is for bullets. But what is the brown thing? Is it a leather gunpowder bag? I was searching for simmilar ones but could not find identical. Maybe it is something like the things here:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10549
on a photo of Jagdkammer? They are a bit similar, but not exact. Does anybody know something more similar?

Second thing is about handgun. If You watch closer You can see that it may have two cocks so it would be a double lock. We can see that guy have a burning match so one would be a matchlock, but what about the other? Is it a wheellock-matchlock or matchlock-tinderlock combo? Or maybe it is just a matchloch and the second cock is just a shadow? This gun looks like an old type arquebus to me. Does anybody seen similar gun?

I'm reenactor and I want to recreate this soldier as close as possible so I need very detailed information
Attached Images

Enmetena is offline   Reply With Quote