Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd May 2008, 05:46 PM   #1
Berkley

Default silver mounted file knife

I just received this knife from a seller who had no idea what it was, as evident from the caption to the seller's picture gallery, which does have a number of views from all angles. The blade, as I hope you can see from my scan, is made from an old file. The scabbard construction, leather over wood, is similar to that used for Nepalese kukris. The knife is very solidly made and functional. I would be interested in hearing any thoughts about its possible origin and age.
Attached Images

Berkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 06:11 PM   #2
RSWORD

I believe this is an Arab knife referred to as shafra. Here is a link for one on Artzi's website and he has a couple of other examples if you utilize the search function but all 3 with silver handle. However, the handle decoration on this one is not off of typical Arab decoration. If you read Artzi's description he comments how these are often mistaken as Nepalese due to Stone and Egerton.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1891
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Berkley

The Egerton reference is to figure 348, Plate IX, "Nepalese Arms" from "Indian and Oriental Arms and Armour" by Lord Egerton of Tatton (1896). Egerton describes it simply as "KNIFE; abruptly curved, grooved blade; silvered hilt. Nepal. L. 11 in." I have not found the Stone reference.
Several years ago John Powell had a somewhat similar knife which he believed to be Nepalese. If I recall correctly, he thought it was called a bank. Stone shows a bank which looks unlike either this knife or the shafras shown by Artzi, described as "A Mahratta knife with a sickle-shaped blade and straight handle.... The Wallace Catalogue describes other forms of knife under this name." I do not have access to the Wallace Catalogue, but would be interested to know what it says. As you say, this does not appear to be Arab silver work. The shape of the blade when vertical does look somewhat like a jambiya, and the arrangement of the ornaments on the handle is somewhat like I have seen on some jambiya hilts.
Attached Images

Old 3rd May 2008, 02:25 AM   #4
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
I believe this is an Arab knife referred to as shafra. Here is a link for one on Artzi's website and he has a couple of other examples if you utilize the search function but all 3 with silver handle. However, the handle decoration on this one is not off of typical Arab decoration. If you read Artzi's description he comments how these are often mistaken as Nepalese due to Stone and Egerton.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=1891
I second the motion.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

There are aspects to the decoration that are rather similar to these weapons from the Himalayan lands. Remarkably so, I go with Berkley and Egerton.
Attached Images

Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

I notion that motion and go with the shafra.....

BTW - the mounts look like a mix of brass,copper, and white metal or tin....
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Berkley

Quote:
BTW - the mounts look like a mix of brass,copper, and white metal or tin....
Brass and copper, but I believe what looks like white metal is low-grade silver. Application of a silver polishing cloth brings up a nice luster, but the tarnish is more grey than the blackish oxidation on silver of greater purity. .