Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 22nd July 2019, 02:49 AM   #1
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Help please with dagger ID

A friend has asked where this knife and sheath are from and how old they may be. I'm not sure where these are from but there are features that lead me to think they are northern Indian.

Hilt is carved bone with small brass ferrule and thin copper disk guard. Scabbard features bone plates over wood, with inlaid designs in brass, a brass chape and locket, and a copper belt loop. Inlaid designs are rosettes, a "sun face," and a temple. The pommel cap is missing. Incised designs on the mono-steel blade include depiction of a pheasant or dove on the reverse side, and the same bird is engraved on the locket of the sheath. These are designs that I have seen while traveling in Ghujurat and Rajastan, although they may also be common elsewhere in southern Asia.

To my eyes this looks like a piece made in the second half of the 20th C and comes from NW India. I would appreciate the assistance of those who are more knowledgeable and can pinpoint the knife's origin and likely age more confidently than I can.

Overall length in sheath = 9.5 in (24 cm)
Blade = 5.25 in (13.5 cm)
Hilt = 3.25 in (8 cm)

Ian
Attached Images

Last edited by Ian; 22nd July 2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 08:27 AM   #2
kronckew

The scabbard motif with a pyramid on top of the pylon with a radiating 'eye' at the apex reminds me of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_Providence

Scabbard construction reminds me of similar wood and horn khukuri scabbards from No. India/Nepal. An artsy-craftsy jeweler could make a new pommel cap to fit fairly easily.

Note the solar face and yin/yang symbology and blade decor on the khukuris below:
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 22nd July 2019 at 08:45 AM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 09:26 AM   #3
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Wayne,

I think you are closer to the mark than I was. The toes of those scabbards look very similar, as are the other design motifs (rosettes, circles, yin/yang, sun face), as well as the arrangement of the sheath into segments by metal strips. The hilt and small disk guard on the knife that I show are different, however, and the knife is certainly not a khukri.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2019, 10:17 AM   #4
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Wayne,

... and the knife is certainly not a khukri.

Ian.
For sure.

They do however make straight knives too! (also Tibet and Bhutan markets overlap)

Like my Nepali 'Bowie'
Attached Images

kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote