Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 13th January 2015, 09:41 PM   #1
thinreadline

Default FISH SPEAR ?

Hello
I assume this is some form of fishing spear . Does anyone have any notion of what part of the world it comes from . When I acquired it it was described as S American , though there was no evidence of this. It is a head only and I wondered what type of shaft it would have had originally.
Attached Images

thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 03:22 AM   #2
VANDOO
(deceased)

WE WOULD CALL THAT A GIG HERE. THIS EXAMPLE IS VERY CRUDELY MADE AND APPEARS TO BE MADE FROM 3 PIECES OF METAL BAR STOCK AND WIRED TOGETHER WHICH IS SOMETHING I HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE. PERHAPS A HOMEMADE, MAKESHIFT GIG MADE WITH VERY LIMITED TOOLS AND MATERIALS. IT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE ANYWHERE BUT IF ITS RECENT SOUTH AMERICA WOULD BE AS GOOD A GUESS AS ANY.
GOOD OLD FISH GIGS AND EEL FORKS WERE OFTEN LARGE IN SIZE BUT ALL I HAVE SEEN WERE WELL FORGED AND USUALLY HAD A SOCKET OR FERRULE FOR ATTACHING TO A POLE.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2015, 07:51 AM   #3
thinreadline

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
WE WOULD CALL THAT A GIG HERE. THIS EXAMPLE IS VERY CRUDELY MADE AND APPEARS TO BE MADE FROM 3 PIECES OF METAL BAR STOCK AND WIRED TOGETHER WHICH IS SOMETHING I HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE. PERHAPS A HOMEMADE, MAKESHIFT GIG MADE WITH VERY LIMITED TOOLS AND MATERIALS. IT COULD HAVE BEEN MADE ANYWHERE BUT IF ITS RECENT SOUTH AMERICA WOULD BE AS GOOD A GUESS AS ANY.
GOOD OLD FISH GIGS AND EEL FORKS WERE OFTEN LARGE IN SIZE BUT ALL I HAVE SEEN WERE WELL FORGED AND USUALLY HAD A SOCKET OR FERRULE FOR ATTACHING TO A POLE.
Thanks !
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote