Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 20th June 2016, 06:20 PM   #1
kino

Default A less than common Kampilan

Moro items have been slow lately so, for your viewing a kampilan, that I picked up early last year.
The tip of the blade is not like the most seen with the sundi, (the protrusion on top of the blade). The cross guard have a double iron hand guard on each side.
I believe the hilt and cross guard is carved from red lauan.
There are some repair work on the hilt, it looks like it was done during the initial carving not at a later time. Probably to save the work that was almost finished, just a thought.
The blade shows evidence of laminations.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 08:26 PM   #2
Maurice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
Moro items have been slow lately so, for your viewing a kampilan, that I picked up early last year.
The tip of the blade is not like the most seen with the sundi, (the protrusion on top of the blade). The cross guard have a double iron hand guard on each side.
I believe the hilt and cross guard is carved from red lauan.
There are some repair work on the hilt, it looks like it was done during the initial carving not at a later time. Probably to save the work that was almost finished, just a thought.
The blade shows evidence of laminations.
That is a beautiful kampilan Albert,
just as I like them to be!
I think you are correct with the repair work. It looks like it has the same old glossy patina as the rest of the hilt.

Lovely piece!
Kind regards,
Maurice
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 10:17 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

A BEAUTIFUL EXAMPLE WITH A UNUSUAL BLADE , BEAUTIFUL PATINA TO THE WOOD AND THE LESS COMMON FORM OF CARVING TO THE HANDLE. DEFINITELY A KEEPER IN MY BOOKS.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 04:09 AM   #4
kino

Thanks Maurice..BTW, I'm still looking for that elusive Kampilan with the unusual hilt form.

Vandoo, it's a keeper indeed.
Old 21st June 2016, 03:39 PM   #5
Battara
EAAF Staff

You are so lucky to have this Ilanum example!

And everything seems so complete!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 03:46 PM   #6
carlos

Congratulations! very beautiful kampilan! The hilt is fantastic! I love this type of sword
Thanks
Carlos
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 06:18 PM   #7
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Whoa there Jose! Why Ilanum?

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
You are so lucky to have this Ilanum example!

And everything seems so complete!
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 06:21 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Kino:

Very nice kamp. Looking at the wood, I would have thought banati, especially with the occasional areas of "tiger stripes." What points you towards red lauan?

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
MI believe the hilt and cross guard is carved from red lauan.
There are some repair work on the hilt, it looks like it was done during the initial carving not at a later time. Probably to save the work that was almost finished, just a thought...
Old 21st June 2016, 07:42 PM   #9
CharlesS

Absolutely lovely example. Everything I love in a kampie from the blade to the pommel, and the "repairs" just add more charm!

Congrats on such a lovely piece!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 01:13 AM   #10
Battara
EAAF Staff

Ian, I base my thoughts on what I have seen of Ilanun kampilans, especially the hilts, which are like this one and do not seem to have "eyes", as well as seemingly slightly truncated pommel with a larger lower "jaw".

Some discussion was done here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...2&page=1&pp=30

Also here is a page from Holstein's book: Iranun and Banalingingi (1860).
Attached Images

Old 22nd June 2016, 01:14 AM   #11
Battara
EAAF Staff

Here is an example of what I am talking about:
Attached Images

Old 22nd June 2016, 06:11 AM   #12
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Jose:

Thanks for the info and I like that figure from Holstein's book. The short handled panabas is different from the usual Moro examples, and looks more sword-like rather than a short pole arm.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
Ian, I base my thoughts on what I have seen of Ilanun kampilans, especially the hilts, which are like this one and do not seem to have "eyes", as well as seemingly slightly truncated pommel with a larger lower "jaw".

Some discussion was done here: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...2&page=1&pp=30

Also here is a page from Holstein's book: Iranun and Banalingingi (1860).
Old 22nd June 2016, 01:28 PM   #13
Battara
EAAF Staff

You're welcome Ian.

And I also agree with Ian on it being banati. There is also a possibility that it could be a form of narra wood burl.

In any case it is a good example of early repair, especially the way the front repair is skillfully carved into the rest of the okir. Very impressive workmanship!
Old 23rd June 2016, 02:10 AM   #14
kai

Hello Jose,

Quote:
I am seeing a typical old-style hilt (of higher than average quality). While this type of hilt does show up on Borneo (arguably more often than on Mindanao), I'd posit that it is a generic Moro style that is not limited to Ilanum origin: it seems to have been widespread and just run out of fashion throughout Mindanao while being retained by Moro expat communities on Borneo and possibly elsewhere. Despite their relative rarity, there are IMHO way too many kampilan with this type of hilt in old US collections to allow a strict Ilanum connection (and some even come with sound provenance to Mindanao).

The hilts which may be restricted to Borneo are considerably more "blocky" and ideally come with disks and additional hair tassels (cp. some pics in the linked thread).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 05:00 AM   #15
kino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Hi Kino:

Very nice kamp. Looking at the wood, I would have thought banati, especially with the occasional areas of "tiger stripes." What points you towards red lauan?

Ian
You know Ian, I look at this sword at least once a week for the past year it sits on top of a flat file cabinet and I've never noticed the striping until you mentioned it. You might be correct on the wood being banate.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone.